What Next?

snoon

Now then all,

I'm hopefully coming into some bonus cash in a month or so, and seen as I'm getting my paint job for free (The woman who bumped me up the ****, her insurance is paying for it), I thought I'd treat the pulsar to something new . But I'm kind of at my limit as far as knowledge goes.

This is the spec I have at the mo.....
HKS induction kit
S/S exhaust by custom pipes
Forge FMIC
Walbro 255 fuel pump
HKS SSQV
550cc Injectors (SARD Purple)
86.5mm Wossner forged pistons
Blitz ID SBC electronic boost controller
Blitz ID Power meter
A/C removed
Speed De-limited
Garrett T28 Turbo Technic’s Hybrid turbo with 360degree bearings
Dastek Unichip and piggyback ecu computer
1.0 Bar – 286 BHP
1.4 Bar – 330 BHP
Helix Organic Clutch
Clutch support bracket
Lightened and polished crank

The BHP figures are on the low side as it is still on standard turbo elbow which is holding me below 330+ BHP. It was booked in for custom one fabricating and fitting but then she decided to crash into the back of me so i now on hold until paint is finshed.

So, if you had a grand to spend, what would you get?

I'm torn between getting a new Tubby or upgrading the ECU as it is on standard at the mo.

If I were to change the Tubby, would my turbo elbow need changing? What else would need changing for this?

If I were to upgrade the ECU, what would I beed looking at gaining? I take it doing this would make so I don't need the unichip anymore?

I suppose either way I would have my old Tubby/unichip to sell?

Any advise would be appreciated!

Thanks

Shaun

snoon

Set up by John Noble Motorsport after I had forged rebuild done. Not sure where Keithg (previous owner) had it set up, although I know it was a Dastec place.

I was happy at 286 at 1 bar on standard (spaghetti junction) elbow. I reckon it will push 300 once new elbow is on.

kirko

the elbow is not holding back your power ive just made 400 bhp on standard elbow
you should get some kind of fuel controller ideally a complete ecu then start thinking about other stuff
i reckon with some proper mapping you should see some good gains on your current spec

turbodaily

yeah dont think the elbow really restricts it much unless yopur running over 360bhp. but even so i doubt theres much gain to be had.

im running a unichip on mine,pretty much same spec as yours and it made 289bhp on 1.0bar when the previous owner had it,however the engine had only done 1k, and ive loosened it up since then. got mine booked in for a remap this friday at engine advantages, so il let you know what she makes

snoon

I have been told that I should get atleast another 20 BHP from getting an elbow made just from the better gas flow. Standard elbow has 120 degree bend in it to make way for aircon, surley it will make a different?

But as I say, I'm kinda at the end of my knowledge here!

Yeah niceone, let me know what yours gets on.

youngsyp

Just because the standard elbow will flow enough gas for the engine to make 400 bhp, doesn't mean it's not incredibly restrictive !
It's simple physics, a 3" elbow will allow more gas to flow, than a 2" elbow. I still fail to see the point of putting an exhaust, with a bore of anything larger than the stock elbow, on the R, if you're gonna keep the stock elbow. You're still keeping the most restrictive part of the exhaust, at the very start of the pipe run, where it'll make the most impact. This is far from what you want for best gas flow on a turboed engine !

I could guarantee that with a larger bore elbow, with a less acute bend in it, you'll see a power and more importantly torque increase along with quicker turbo spool up over the stock elbow.

You should expect a passive boost increase with the larger elbow too. Probably not enough to affect fueling but, it'll probably be best to get it checked anyway

kirko

of course its restrictive:? and of course you will make gains by changing it !
but its not the elbow holding him under 330 bhp which is what he said;-)
if money was no object he could change everything to make huge power
we are just suggesting different paths to choose from and good management is always overlooked,
if i could afford it i would buy a motec tomorrow and im using a power fc at the moment

cheers

david

p.s i have changed my standard elbow since the dyno session and its booked in again so we will know exactly how much a 3 inch elbow is worth at 1.7 bar

snoon

So what would you do in my position?

ECU? How much we talking for a motec? I thought they were like 2 grand or summat?

Are there any cheaper options? I have heard of Link ECU's, are they any good?

Would I see any power gains from an ECU upgrade?

Cheers

O

Odin

snoon said:
So what would you do in my position?

ECU? How much we talking for a motec? I thought they were like 2 grand or summat?

Are there any cheaper options? I have heard of Link ECU's, are they any good?

Would I see any power gains from an ECU upgrade?

Cheers
My motec was £2700 fitted and mapped, I gained 80 bhp and 50ft lb's just from fitting it at the same boost levels as before, But this was most probably just due the the fact that it was running so pi55 poor before hand ;-) .

Rob

kirko

motec ecu is very expensive but if you could find a power fc (they have been discontinued so good luck)
you would see some good gains due to being able to map the ignition advance not just fuelling

you dont mention brakes or suspension in your spec list
it would be wise to look into upgrades in those departments too
the list is endless as to what you do first
good luck matey

snoon

£2700!!! I havn't had a lottery win you know!

Are there any cheaper ECU options that are better than the Unichip I currently have?