What should my car be putting out? (bhp... roughly)

J

Jim_1979

Spec :

full mongoose exaust with 5" slash cut tail
massive 4"twin core front mount intercooler
top mount oil cooler
cusco oil seperator
after market air filter
Walbro Fuel pump (was told this by previous owner, just taking his word for now)

My garage fitted a manual boost controller today and upped the boost to 18psi. This thing is crazy quick now!! Was running standard boost until today! What a difference.

The car feels miles faster than my old 280bhp mr2 turbo.

What is 18psi in bar and what roughly should the car be putting out (bhp) ??

Thanks

J

Jim_1979

ha ha!!! Mad!! ... it is quick as hell and doesn't even wheelspin in the rain! The tyres on this thing are crazy!!

What's safe with the stock fuel pump? I was told the car had a walbro, but can only assume it has.

What can the stock turbo run to ?? (psi)

Fire & skill

Vintage member
some people run them to 1.4 bar, i wouldnt put it up any more than what its set at just now - the injectors are prob nearly maxed out. the std pump will prob just manage 1.1 - 1.2 bar if its a good one. its risky mate, best to check it def has a walbro

J

Jim_1979

Was gonna get the garage to do that today, but they said it would be a couple of hours of work!!

Thot I'd just leave it and buy a pump. If they spend a few hours checking, and it doesn't then they might as well fit it as opposed to checking, then getting them to fit it at a later date.

I'm sure you said it should only take 5mins to check??

Is it something I can do easily myself? You free at the weekend ?? ;)

Like I said the owner said it did have, I'm prob being a bit paranoid that it might not!

J

jpward

Fire & skill said:
1.2 bar - prob around 320 - 330 bhp :)
Surely it wouldnt be this high without extra fueling and most likely go shit it self without extra fueling??? :roll:

geetee

jpward said:
Surely it wouldnt be this high without extra fueling and most likely go shit it self without extra fueling??? :roll:
Not necessarily. Been running about 1.2 bar for 3 years with just K&N, Mongoose, Walbro pump and one grade colder plugs. Only thing that shat itself has been the clutch so far.

AFR gauge is showing I'm running full rich right up to the redline in every gear.

Saw 276hp / 270 lb-ft on the rollers at 1 bar so would expect 300hp now. Still wouldn't recomend it without a decent rolling setup - I've been lucky so far.

Cheers
Graham

Dooie Pop Pop

Trent said:
1 bar is 14 psi
no its not:nono: its 14.7psi so if your gonna round it up..........

you tail pipe diameter be it 3.5"/5"/47" makes no difference to power;-)

you can tell if you have a walbro fuel pump by listening to it prime when you turn the ignition key so that the dash light come on. if its really quite its most likely standard, a good way to check is to see if the wires leading into the fuel pump have been cut at some stage as they would have to be in order to fit a new pump. another owner would be able to tell you straight away after a gander;-)

i see no mention of uprated/colder spark plugs in your list:? you should be using a colder grade as Geetee mentions.

did they bother to check your air fuel ratio when they upped the boost? or did they just take it out for a damn good thrashing and declare it ok?

best bit of advice i can give you is to stay away from garages and use the resources available to you from here and the modifiers club. you' ll get impartial advice from the members and the quality of work offered by Mike and Olly ect rarely if ever comes into question.

id rather have the Thundergod work on my R than some money grabbing git.....2hrs to check a fuel pump?:roll:

276bhp @ 1bar is a bit lame really;-):-D

hope that helps, Stu

Last edited:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Dooie Pop Pop said:
no its not:nono: its 14.7psi so if your gonna round it up..........
Maybe if you round it up from the proper figure of 14.5:doh:

14.7 is atmospheric pressure at sea level I think.

Dooie Pop Pop

Fast Guy said:
Maybe if you round it up from the proper figure of 14.5:doh:

14.7 is atmospheric pressure at sea level I think.
i LIVE below sea level numb nuts:roll:

14.7psi is atmospheric pressure ie 1bar

everyone else see' s 1bar as 14.7 and 10bar as 147psi i dont care what the military think...

especially those with ginger moustaches;-)