what to do

what to do to my R

• take her off road, do everything (incl full engine strip down), take ages

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • who cares stop wasting everyones time and bog off

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GTIR-LOZ

right heres the scenario, i am a mechanic by trade, i dont earn alot of money, but enough, im paying 500 a month to pay the R and other debts off which should be done by august/sept time

i feel my R is becoming a little neglected with my recent discovery of the turbo aging and lack of heat due to a coolant system that drinks water :( to be honest thats all that is wrong with it, but i want her perfect, now hopefully this poll will make my mind up for me, as im not sure what to do, a full strip and rebuild i imagine would take me about a year and alot more money than i have, so i have put this poll up to decide what to do

zia

hey gtir-loz we got a few things in common :wink: grey r ,technician etc
personally i,d just do the basic give it good once over and decide what you want power or reliabilty or both.providing the engine in good nick why strip and rebuild?and you can always save up for the eventality :lol:
or strip it down and do the head gasket etc with few choice mods while you,re at it you could check what the pistons are like.

zia

R

Rab

I say get her in bits, and see what need replacing, and get a MASSIVE bank loan, or sell a kidney for all those performance parts! :D

A

Anonymous

sort the easy stuff and keep it on the road until all the debts are clear.
then groom some contacts to get the bits and pieces at trade price.
then save up your holidays for the next year and build a monster :twisted:

GTIR-LOZ

yeah thats the thing i assume i need to do the headgasket as the coolant is vanishing quicker than i can put it in (will do a leak test asap) with no visible leaks and have heard that the head is a bit of a biatch to get off in situ, hence the stip down, i have already done a compression check and the readings were pretty level but not at the 150 mark they are suposed to be at, hence another point of worry, it however does run fine and there is no evidence of water getting into the bores i.e it doesnt smoke atall, and it might just be a blocked rad/matrix causing the reservoir to overflow while on the move, hence no visible leak, but there is the other worry of if i get a new turbo with a bit more guts to it, then should i at the same time chuck some pistons in her, as it would be easier while the bores are ok or risk it, and possible it be ok , and possible go right tits up and destroy the engine/gearbox causing alot more damge than i can afford to fix, hence being another R forever lost to the scrapheap :cry:

GTIR-LOZ

thats not a bad idea saving up the holiday thing, but i am one of those people that if they do something for longer than a couple of days i get bored and cant be arsed

as usual rab seems to be more useless than usefull :roll: :lol:

A

Anonymous

GTIR-LOZ said:
thats not a bad idea saving up the holiday thing, but i am one of those people that if they do something for longer than a couple of days i get bored and cant be arsed
typical bloody mechanic,won`t spend any time on their own motor but will work night and day to finish a customers car i`ll bet :D

GTIR-LOZ

hehehehe true, but then im always tinkering with my car at work on a staurday, but if its a job longer than half an hour i cant be arsed and think ill do it another day, ask ash hills and his steering rack bushes, i look at it and think, na ill do it next weekend, every weekend :lol: