What's This For?

Matt Evans

I'm halfway through fittting my D2 coilovers. I've done the fronts, and I'm about to crack on with the rears, but I've got 2 components in the kit and I don't know what their for. The parts are about 8 inches long and comprise of a straight piece of bar int the middle, and what looks to be some sort of track rod ends on each end of the bar. One of the track rod end thingys has 'inc L' stamped on it, and the other one has 'inc R' on it.

Any ideas what these are, where they go, and how to set them up?

Thanks in advance. :)

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Drop links for your rear ARB.

Get your ARB level and change your drop link length so "the bar's" (edit) response is linear. Try to adjust each side the same amount so you don't pre-load the Bar.

Last edited:

Matt Evans

O.k. so I remove the old drops and replace with the new ones. So one end attaches to the ARB and the other end to the coilover, yeah?

Sorry to be a pain, but could you please explain the set up part again, as I'm not quite sure what you meant?

Matt Evans

What do you mean by getting the ARB level?

Plus I don't understand the pre load bit. Also, on the coilovers, you can adjust the height of the part the drop link attches to. How do I know how far to sdjust the height?

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
The ARB response is most linear when it is horizontal to the ground with the drop link perpendicular. The closest to this the better but don't loose sleep over it. More important is trying to keep both sides the same so you don't have one side always pushing down and pre-loading the bar to one side.

youngsyp

Don't take this the wrong way but, if you don't understand the explanations so far, why are you messing around with the suspension ?

What you are trying to achieve is to get the part of the ARB, with the hole in it (that the drop link attaches to), parallel to the ground. To do this, you may need to adjust the length of the new drop links, that came with your D2's. These drop links need to be the same length on each side, so that your not putting tension on the ARB (pre-loading). So, the drop link would be at an angle of around 90 degrees (a right angle) to the ARB.

Basically, before you take the old rear set up off, take a picture and refer back to that to get a similar result !

As for height adjustment, as I understand it, you undo the lock washer/nut at the base of the coilover (just above the bracket that attaches to the cars hub) and screw the main body in and out to adjust length.
Doesn't your kit come with instructions ?

HTH's

Matt Evans

Thanks for the reply youngsyp. I do know how to put the suspension on, I've just never installed coilivers before, and wanted to make sure I get everything as right as I possibly can. I understand how to adjust the ride height as I've already fittted the front ones, but what I wasn't sure about was, the other end of the drop link that attaches to the coilover. The attachment on the coilover is also height adjustable and I don't really know what for. Is it just for further fine adjustment?

Also, when I set the ARB parallel to the ground and the drop link perpendicular to the ARB, is this done with the car still jacked up, or when its back on the ground?

Sorry if I'm making myself sound like a complete numpty, honestly I'm not... well, not a complete one! :D I just wanna make sure I do things right. 8)

Last edited:
A

ard1ey

Set the ARB arms parallel to the ground with the car on its wheels (and ideally with the suspension settled). With the drop links at the right length, they should be pretty much vertical.

There were a few posts about this on the old Whiteline yahoogroup many moons ago, on my car the standard droplinks get pulled to a funny angle with the rear bar on hard because they're too long. The bar isn't particularly parallel to the floor, either :)

Also as Jim said, make sure the bar isn't under tension with the car just standing level. If it is, you won't have equal response round left and right hand bends.