Wheel Scrubbage

Mark_GTiR

if I lower the car on 16inch rims.. what sort of drop am I looking at to maintain good handling and lack of wheel scrubbage if at all any!!!!

MarkTurbo

I've got 16's and standard ride height and there is s**tloads of room in the arches, cant see it rubbing :wink:

Mark_GTiR

Yeah - I'm also running 16's with no scrubbing but thinking of lowering it a little but bothered about it scrubbing..

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
225/40/16s on Tein super streets (maybe 1" lower than standard) and still quite abit of room to go with no apparent scrubbing.

C

chris-b

hay, mine;s not loweered but with 17's and i was going a tad fast around a tight bend and i heard a large scrape/ scrub and looked in my mirror and my poxie o/s/f small wheel arch trim had ripped off! bummer! :oops:

Cris

I have small experience it this matter (spent ages mesing around with different ride heights).

Basically you are OK to drop upto about 35mm on 17s you can go lower but if your springs aren't rock hard you'll find that the outer trailing edge of the tyre fouls the front rear (at the horizontal) arch. Happens on lock under load (eg. corner or bump).

With the stock 14s on hard spring you can go as low as 65mm (at the front). This makes the say very stable (especially at speed) but is otherwise pretty crap.

If you're repalcing the shocks and springs I'd go for one of the coil-over options with adjustable platforms. Then you can adjust it to your heart's content, if you get any rubbing.

Other coil-over advantages - you could get the car corner weight then set-up properly. You can (relatively) easily and cheaply get new springs if the supplied items are too hard/soft.

Look at whiteline's site and have a quick searching session here.

Good luck.

PS Spring compressors are bastards.