Where Do I Start?????

tony1981

Hi everybody, i've had my first gtir now for 6 months and i'm finally getting all the little problems sorted with it and now i'm wondering where to start to get increased power, so i'm just after some helpful pointers for what to start with.:doh:

tony1981

the only problem i have is i don't think the car is standard, it already has a boost controller, hks induction kit and full mongoose exhaust so i don't know what fuel pump is on it how can i check, and as for the boost controller i'm not sure if it even works it looks quite old

zenwahwong56

Hi,

You can tell if you have a uprated Walbro either by the start up you can hear it pump, or you can open the tank to have a look,

tony1981

by hearing it do you mean when you turn the ignition to on, there is a sound, its hard to describe the noise it makes but is that what you mean?

warringtonjack

It would help to know what sort of power you are currently running before you decide what you want to upgrade. i.e. going from 240 to 340 is a hell of a lot cheaper than going from 300 to 400. What max boost is your boost gauge reading? The only real way of telling what fuel pump you have is to open up the top of the tank and have a look. Post up a pic of your boost controller to see if anyone on here knows what it is and how it can be best utilised.

tony1981

how do you raed you boost gauge as its not in psi, i only have the standard from the cluster and don't yet have an aftermarket gauge. the guy who looked at my car after i bought it told me it was holding 17 psi but i don't know how reliable that info is. as for the boost controller it a hks one with 4 buttons(power, low, high and manual) and a dial for adjusting the boost when on manual. hope this makes sense

gtirjoey

get a aftermarket boost gauge in my opion its an essential you need to know what boost your running although most electronic boost controllers have digital reading of boost might be worth trying to source a manual on your controller

gtir_pimp

just take it to a rolling road so they can check its running and fueling good. they will be able to tell you what psi/bar its running and if it needs anything and what can be done to upgrade the power next. not being rude but it doesnt sound like your that confident with working on your pulsar, so i would advise you to get things done professionally otherwise it will cost you big time in the end. my rolling road was £60. i had a friend who was running his R at 1.2bar and he didnt realise it was running dangerously lean,but thanks to the rollers they were able to tell him and sort the problem before it went bang!! so there you go mate!!!

Trondelond

None of them are "better", as they both read pressure. It's a matter of preference if you want it to display it in bar or psi. :)
Just get an accurate one. I noticed Autometer gauges were pretty accurate, and they're quite cheap.