which one to go faster

Shaun

:D The Greddy Profecs seem to be very Plug'n'Play :!: They tend to be very good at holding their set boost level as well :D

A

Anonymous

Shaun said:
:D The Greddy Profecs seem to be very Plug'n'Play :!: They tend to be very good at holding their set boost level as well :D
Plug & Play my @rse! :evil:

I have to get a vac hose put into the hot side of the intercooler :evil:

pain in the buttocks

Shaun

:D I've fitted 2,a Profec B and a Profec B2,without any problems what so ever :!: :!: :!: The Profec B is helping Duey produce 328bhp at 1.18bar :!: So think it speaks for its self :!:

S

SimonGTT

anyone got a weblink? Dont take the mick! remember im new to R's

BenD

Shaun said:
:D I've fitted 2,a Profec B and a Profec B2,without any problems what so ever :!: :!: :!: The Profec B is helping Duey produce 328bhp at 1.18bar :!: So think it speaks for its self :!:
Try fitting a profec A proper pain in the arse! :x
i have been told the profec b is a doddle to set up tho

A

Anonymous

Shaun:

Everything is simple...apart from introducing a vac hose into the hot intercooling pipe(properly).

I dont like bodging stuff so its taking longer than expected :cry:

geetee

Profec B Spec II is good value for what it does. It's not clever or smart - it can't do stuff that some of the more expensive kit does - like boost level by RPM and gear. But it is very good at setting and maintaining a given level.

And once setup - it won't lose it;s setting if you disconect the battery.

The Profec A is a more 'advanced' bit of kit with fuzzy logic (thought they used that in washing machines) which learns how your boost comes on and how it spikes and adjusts itself accordingly.

Horses for courses really.

I like the Profec B personally - it does what I want without any frills and without the need for a portable telly on the dashboard to see what's going on. And no - I really don't want an LCD rendering of a boost gauge thanks.

There are plenty of EBC's around to choose from - it's really down to how much you want to spend, how long you have to set it up, and how many different levels of boost you want. Bear in mind, few ppl find a need for more than 2 boost levels - and even that can seem a little silly if you know how to drive without planting your right foot.

Popular choices are the Greddy Profec, Apexi AVC-R (telly on dash) and I'm sure HKS do one but I can't remember what they call it!

It's also worth shopping around in the UK and with overseas suppliers. With the exchange rate as it is it pays to buy from the States even if you get VAT and Duty added by the Customs Gestapo.

I got mine from squattyshop in California and it cost me as much in US$ as it costs here in £ . With an exchange rate of about 1.8 USD to the GBP I was :lol:

Cheers
GeeTee

Shaun

:D Hudson,are you fitting a Profec A then mate :?: If so i cant comment on that,as i've never seen one let alone fitted one :!: Also,just a note,i dont like bodging either :!: Just paid £400 for 2 digital gauges,one of which had to have the sender fitted into the alloy intake pipe from the FMIC to the Plenum,so it was off to the aluminium fabricators to weld a piece of aluminium on and tap it out :!: It's been done and jobs a goodun :!: If you want some pic's i can mail them to you :!:

Davey

The only advantage's with the apexi is that you can adjust boost for a set rev range, or for a certain gear(only usefull in a 2 wheel drive car).
Also, you dont need an aftermarket boost gauage, cos it has one built in, which will also tell you what the peak boost reached, which is handy to make sure you've set it up properly, and it isnt spiking.
Ive got mine set at 1.1bar up to 5k, then 1 bar after that(so it hopefully doesnt blow up)
You can either love or hate the looks of it, but TBH, if you dont like it, you can always put it in the glove box :wink:

Mr GTiR

HKS EVC 4, had it for ages now and never had any problems with it. Not as flash as the EVC 5 but it does what it was designed to do...hold boost regardless of level :wink:

kirko

thanks guys but still not sure what to get i just need a no frills reliable unit which is gonna be straightforward to use