Whining Noise from Passenger Footwell Area

donpulsar

South Yorkshire Regional Rep
The noise appears over 20mph and continues all the way up the speedo.

The noise is there ( albeit quiet) when you are not using the gas pedal (just coasting along), but as soon as you put any pressure onto the pedal the whine just gets louder, and even when the clutch is depressed, the noise remains at the same level. The noise is only audible when moving.

As you brake, the whining noise "slows down" and then stops as you stop.

Any ideas :?:

Cheers,

donpulsar :)

I

Innovate Performance

Could be a wheel bearing, May be diff bearing or gearbox bearing it hard to say with out hearing it.

donpulsar

monsterGTi-R - PMSL & so did the missus :lol: :lol:

Mr Innovate - Tell me about it - I tried my best to describe it, but I guess I'll have to record it so we can play "Guess the Knackered Pulsar Part!"

nismoboy - what did you have to do / have done to sort this problem :?: (Please don't say Gearbox Rebuild :cry: )

Really appreciate the quick replies, anyone else have any suggestions :?:

Cheers,

I

Innovate Performance

Mr Innovate - Tell me about it - I tried my best to describe it, but I guess I'll have to record it so we can play "Guess the Knackered Pulsar Part!"
That could be a fun game to play

nismoboy - what did you have to do / have done to sort this problem :?: (Please don't say Gearbox Rebuild :cry: )
Gearbox rebuild sorry :cry:

donpulsar

Seemed like I overfilled the transfer box (I fully drained it and put in 1.5 litres of that Shockproof gear oil stuff) , the level was right up against the filler plug, giving no room for expansion/gas build up, and blowing fluid out of the breather pipe on the gearbox :shock: :!:

So having drained around 600ml out the box runs quieter than before but the noise is still there. Is it worth changing the oil again for some fresh stuff :?: Or any other ideas (apart from cooked transfer bearings :?:)

Cheers,

B

BFMurphy

just jack up the car and turn the wheel/ or drive it with the wheel jacked up and try and listen. best done with 2 people.

J

John Mc

BFMurphy said:
just jack up the car and turn the wheel/ or drive it with the wheel jacked up and try and listen. best done with 2 people.
Might be quite difficult to drive it with one wheel jacked up mate unless he's got one of those homeboy hydraulics kits on his R :lol: :lol: :p

Dooie Pop Pop

John Mc said:
BFMurphy said:
Might be quite difficult to drive it with one wheel jacked up mate unless he's got one of those homeboy hydraulics kits on his R :lol: :lol: :p
pmsl :lol: dont try and do it on axle stands either

antgtir

Sounds like the front diff bearings are a tad worn to me. I wouldn't say this is a major prob i.e. needs changing straight away, but if you have the money and time it would be a good investment.

All the GTiR's ive been in make this same noise, its just one of those prob's you get. If it gets worse then i would change them as it would suggest they are about to go bang :?

Ive never done this job so cant tell you whether its a ball ache or not.

Goodluck,

Ant. :wink:

donpulsar

Ain't got a homeboy lowrider kit on the 'R, but next best thing - it's going on the lifting gear at Nissan on Saturday (& b4 you all scream my mate's one of the mechanic's there :wink: ) so we can drive it whilst its up in the air so he can give it a good listen. Hope t aint too expensive :roll:

Thankyou for your contributions - much appreciated :)

Cheers,