Whistle at 4000rpm..

B

Boo

Dudes - "Turbo Experts"

Couple of days ago, after a spirited drive - the car developed a very definate whistle... It doesn't build up it, just comes straight in at about 4000rpm.

After doing a "search" there's 2 theories:

1 - Boost pipe leak - this would kind of make sense as I've recently had a Forge FMIC fitted. So maybe the extra pressure has popped a pipe.. I hope.. I've had a quick look, but the car was way to hot poke about.

2 - Turbo about to go - I hope to check the play at lunch time.

http://forum.gtiroc.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=14440&highlight=whistle

Questions:

I have some muck around the turbo outlet - Is this a sign of anything bad?

Is there any obvious pipes that should be checked first?

Any guys had this and have the solutions?

Cheers in advance...

Ben

J

J-GTi-R

Possibly a dying turbo, but also check the dump valve isn't leaking. I had a whistle on mine when the turbo started boosting up, but after I adjusted the spring tension on the DV it stopped.

E

Edd

yep same here i had a whistle come in around 4000 as it came on full boost and i thought it was the turbo :shock: but i put the car back to standard and by a process of elimnation (and the fact earlier in the day the dump valve had blwon off the pipe :shock: ) it was due to a faulty spring in the dumpvalve causing it.
So check your dumpvalve, refit your std recirc if you got one :wink:

B

Boo

Nice one guys - I know what I'll be doing in my lunch hour...

I have a copule of spare spring for the Forge DV, so I'll service the whole thing and let your know...

I hate work

Ben

J

J-GTi-R

Yeah the Forge is very easy to work on, just be careful when you take the last allen bolt out, you don't want half a dump valve chinning you one as the spring releases (guess how I know that... :oops: )

S

Sunny Nutter

let us know how you get on Boo
mine does the same at 1.2 bar, but it doesn't whistle at standard boost,
I have the yellow spring fitted to my forge DV, and I have the other spring (somewhere :roll: )

S

Sirnixalot

if there is oil on the turbo outlet then the oil seals are leaking

OR

If you still have the valve (rocker) cover breather tube connected to the intake you could be getting alot of blow by.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I'd start by looking at the intercooler pipes first and the hose to the wastegate/plenum as they have been disturbed recently. After that start checking everything else. :wink:

GINGA

Make sure the bolts are tight for the turbo outlet pipe to turbo and also make sure its clear of the standard oil seperator as if its touching it then it may not be sealing properly at the turbo outlet.

B

Boo

Guys,

Thanks for the tips...

At the moment it looks like Ginga/SirNix were right... Frank had a look and a drive the other night.

Also, there's a lot of muck in the turbo, DV pulling some through too. - so looks like the seals have gone and it's doesn't look like its spooling properly..

More later

Ta Again

Ben