Whiteline front ant-roll bar

K9ng

As above anyone have a front whiteline ant-rollbar they want rid of.
Preferabley with the bushes too.

K9ng

Thanks, I have seen them on Rallynuts £127 posted.
Was hoping to get one used. Will get one from Rallynuts if I have no joy.

davey red.r

there £107 posted ,they have a 10%discount on at the minuete.
mind ive heard that they are a waste of time, and can mess the front end up a wee bit,correct me if im wrong, just what i heard,just get new bushes in.
and save your lolly for something else.

davey;-)

red reading

you herd wrong,the standard front bar is too stiff,and the rear is to week,had both whiteline one's on my old car ,along with alot of other suspension bit's and good set up,and the car had very neutral handling,not like the one i have now that just has tein's coilover and edfc,that understeer's and will now have to have all the same mod's done to it.

Braveheart

I have a front whiteline arb that I am reluctant to fit as I like the way the car handles with the standard arb and GAB suspention.
The gauge of the whiteline is smaller than the OE bar and the last thing I want on the track is more roll. I will have to give it a try though... keep you posted!

Trondelond

Isn't the OE one hollow, and the whiteline one solid? Would think that this makes a difference. :) I liked the feel when fitting my front one. But i haven't been able to test it at the track yet.

Braveheart

kenan said:
Only heard good things about the whiteline kit myself.

Here is the group buy thread with a few comments on the ARBs: http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46031
I had a look at that thread but there's no comments on performance.
I think the rear whiteline arb will be a bit stiffer than the OE rear arb but still have my doubts about the front.
I know this request is in the wrong section but can anyone that has fitted front and rear whiteline ARB's comment on their performance!
Cheers.

youngsyp

Braveheart said:
I had a look at that thread but there's no comments on performance.
I think the rear whiteline arb will be a bit stiffer than the OE rear arb but still have my doubts about the front.
I know this request is in the wrong section but can anyone that has fitted front and rear whiteline ARB's comment on their performance!
Cheers.
From the experiences I've read about, the adjustable rear ARB is as stiff as the OE ARB on setting 1 (Closest to the front of the car when fitted). Setting 2 seems to be idea as, it turns the handling preference from understeer to much more neutral. Setting 3 seems too stiff and will make the GTiR very rear end happy. Not good on a car with such a short wheelbase. This assumes you have certain other suspension mods though !
Iirc, the stock rear ARB is 15mm thick and solid. The adjustable Whiteline rear ARB is 20mm thick and solid. It is also a different design, shape wise. So, that probably plays a big part in it's stiffness.
Where as the stock front ARB is 28mm thick and solid and the Whiteline option is 27mm and solid. With that in mind, it's probably best to sort the rest of the chassis out first, then change the front ARB as a last resort.

From my own experience, with my car, the chassis can be sorted to a very much more neutral balance, with a decent set of dampers and springs, hard bushes and chassis alignment. Oh, and tyre pressures !

The adjustable rear Whiteline ARB is one of the next things to do on my list though, just to see how much it can make things better...

Paul

Braveheart

Thanks for your input Paul... very imformative as usual....:thumbsup:
I'll wait and see if there is any other views but at the moment I will run OE arb on front.
I bought Robs uprated front wishbones off ebay and will fit them soon.... ;-)
As for the rear, I can at present get the back end to step out in wet / damp conditions with the OE arb and my GAB's set stiff.... I can dial this out though by softening the GAB's and dropping tyre pressure. The one advantage I can see if I use the whiteline on the rear is the phisical adjustment available and will fit these when I get around to uprating the rear subframe bushes. Strengthening / stiffening up the chase / body could make a big difference but I'm not in a possition to do this just yet. Just have to live with braces and roll cage for now.
Cheers,
Scott.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Building on what Paul says, the Front OE ARB is 28mm whilst the Whiteline is 27mm. However, the OE has a flat bar centre section whilst the whiteline is a normal bar. In Terms of stiffness there is probably very little to divide the two as a thicker bar is stiffer but a flat centre is softer. The OE is just a little stiffer overall. In terms of colour, one is silver, the other is black. When myself and Stumo had them side by side we got a micrometer out to check his bar hadn't just been painted silver by someone they are that similar.

The rear ARB is a different story and it gives a lot of options over OE. When I first set my suspension up it was far from optimal and the rear bar on full stiff made matters a lot worse. Stiffer roll bars are a good strategy for improving handling so I carried on experimenting. With the rear ARB on full stiff you need to drop your rear ride hight 5mm or so more than on the middle setting and everything balances up again.

My next strategy was 5F 4R kg/mm spring rates that over bias the back again in an effort to reduce power on understeer. This made the rear more snappy again so I had to back off my rear ARB at first to the minimum and then a few more tweaks later set it to the middle setting. Now the highest setting doesn't work for me again. Irrespective of what setting does or doesn't work, it demonstrates the adjustability of the rear bar is useful.

@ Scott, ideally you should use dampers to control spring movement and balance on corner entry/exit. Damper tuning is great but has its limits. Springs and ARB's should be used if you find you are over compensating for other shortfalls in chassis balance. If your dampers are normal spring rates then they should only need to be a few clicks different.

Cheer,
Jim

Last edited:

davey red.r

Braveheart said:
Thanks for your input Paul... very imformative as usual....:thumbsup:
I'll wait and see if there is any other views but at the moment I will run OE arb on front.
I bought Robs uprated front wishbones off ebay and will fit them soon.... ;-)
As for the rear, I can at present get the back end to step out in wet / damp conditions with the OE arb and my GAB's set stiff.... I can dial this out though by softening the GAB's and dropping tyre pressure. The one advantage I can see if I use the whiteline on the rear is the phisical adjustment available and will fit these when I get around to uprating the rear subframe bushes. Strengthening / stiffening up the chase / body could make a big difference but I'm not in a possition to do this just yet. Just have to live with braces and roll cage for now.
Cheers,
Scott.
yes i bought them wishbones too,:cry:
he must want your a*** more than mine:lol:

davey

Braveheart

Thanks Jim.... !
I know you have had alot of experience in setting up suspention and provided loads of information on the subject and I appreciate your feedback.
The front will be staying in it's box for now and you have put me off fitting the rear... lol.
The car just handles so well with it's present setup I'm reluctant to change much.
I need to get the thing back up and running, fit the uprated front wishbones and a set of ebach camber adjustment bolts and get some more testing done.
Cheers,
Scott.

kenan

South West Regional Rep
Braveheart said:
The car just handles so well with it's present setup I'm reluctant to change much.
Think you answered your own question. I was going to get more power from mine, but since driving her more am happy with what I have.

Braveheart

kenan said:
Think you answered your own question. I was going to get more power from mine, but since driving her more am happy with what I have.
I know mate..... I do that all the time... :oops: I'm far too cautious ... well try to be... ;-)
Always good to cover all bases and ask questions though... sanity check.
Good job you are happy with the present power as it can be a very costly upgrade if you start replacing turbo, injectors, management, induction, clutch, gearbox....
Unfortunatly, I have been sucked down that route and you will see yet another threads some time.... "performance parts for sale"... :lol: