Why doesn't my R like aftermarket ECUs?

My R is running the usual spec - 1.1bar, uprated fuel pump, full exhaust, induction & FMIC.

A while back I got hold of a Mines ECU to make the most of the mods I have and my R ran like crap with it fitted. At the time I assumed i had gotten an ecu mapped for higher mods than i had so i took the mines back out and standard back in.

Then yesterday i got hold of a standard ecu that had been mapped by KS-ROM in Japan and then remapped by engine advantages over here for 1.1bar, exhaust & induction. Fitted it today and again the R runs like crap - really hesitant then shooting off under light throttle and holding back loads and drinking the fuel under heavier throttle..

Why does my R only run ok with a standard ECU? I dont get it at all..A mate of mine is into his fords and told me their ecu's require an adjustment period of a couple of hundred miles to 'learn' the engine - are our ecu's the same?

Dan

P

pulsarboby

i have heard this too dan and had the same prob with my zx300.
i fitted an aftermarket chip and was told that it would run pants untill the ecu recognised and made adjustments to the chip installed.
now whether this is true or not i really dont know but the car definately ran smoother after around 150 miles and was a lot quicker.
if your round my way again then pop in and il fit an aftermarket ecu i have here and see what it runs like with that, you can test straight away.
it will be dearer than the ks rom you bought off carl but i will take it in px if the other one i have works well

Thanks for the offer Bob. Im bound to be down your way again for some more parts..I now have a Mines and this KS-ROM sat here lol.

I tried the theory of leaving it in for some miles - covered 30odd and gave up and took it back out. The deciding factor was when i came off a roundabout, went to accelerate upto the limit (only 40mph) and the car wouldnt do it, just held right back, stuttering badly then recovered after i backed off the throttle completely, by which time the cars behind werent too happy about this loud car in front that couldnt even do 40mph :lol:

It occured to me earlier - would it be any use fitting one of the aftermarket ecu's and then checking for a fault code? Maybe they are both detecting something the standard one isnt? :?

gtirx2

Have you check/ tryed playing around with the base timing on the distributor at all?
Maybe if you retard it a couple of degrees it may help with the uprated ecu's?
TBH i ain't got much of a clue and am having a bit of a guess:lol: ?

CARLGTIR

Sorry to hear that dan :sad: I saw your car go past the tesco's roundabout las Firday.. looking good 8)

turbodaily

you wanna get the datalogger software and then you can see whats going on.

if it were me id check the ignition timing with the stock ecu fitted, as the aftermarket ecu's are assuming things like timing are set to 20 degree's like it should be, but you might be running say 25degrees, and then the aftermarket ecu is adding more advance ontop of that, and could be sensing det.. something to look at anyhow. :?

if you have a little electrical gremlin like a faulty sensor or wiring somewhere, fitting a lairy ecu will exagerate that problem.

if you get that software you can check that the sensors are all functioning properly

Thanks for the advice guys. I dont have a clue how to adjust the timing and would probably mess it right up so will get a garage to look at the current setting and adjust if necessary. Will also look into that datalogger software..

Carl - yes that would have been when i popped down to Bobs to get the ecu and bucket seats 8)

youngsyp

dan-hipgrave said:
Do you reckon you could take a look at my Mines and see what its mapped for?
While you're at it bud, get Ed to look at the mapping of your KS-ROM ecu too. Even if you don't end up using it, it'll give you the informatiion needed, when you sell it on and might make it more valuable! ;-)

Paul