will this oil work in my R?

Studlife

I know the preffered oil is usually 15/50 Mobil 1 the problem is here in north America Mobil 1 has discontinued this oil from us and has replaced it with 5/50 racing mobil 1,

The closest thing i could find was AMS oil 20/50

http://www.tedsoil.com/pages/product/20w50.htm

if i could get some thoughts here that would be great

Also the part Number for the oil filter is different here in north america got it sorted just thought i'd mention it thanks guys

Nigell_d6

Hi,

Depends on what temp you are running as a general rule, do a search for posts by oilman in advanced search, he did a very good article some time ago on the whole meaning and running conditions, very informative and helpful

If your oil temp doesnt go above 85 oC as a general rule, 10/50 could be a bit on the thickish side.

Regards

Nigel

youngsyp

Yeah, I think that 20w50 is a bit thick for your climate (assume very cold in the winter and pretty warm in the summer ?!) !

I think I can safely say that most of us over hear use 10w50 Silkolene Pro S. I think you should be looking at a similar grade where you are. Can you get Motul oils ? As, they produce very similar graded products to the Silkolene stuff !

Also, I think that the Evo guys over hear favour the 5w40 Silkolene so, your 5w50 Mobil 1 replacement might suit just as well ?!

You could try to email the oilman at www.opieoils.co.uk for information too !

Studlife

i checked the oilman 'monologues' on the site i didn't find exactly what i was after, i'm only going to run this oil in the summer, average temp 20 degrees C, would the Mobil 1 5W50 be turbo safe?AMS oil Being an american based company is probably not found in europe, i could be wrong

D

deslynam

20W50 will be too thick until it's up to temp, and even then a 50 high-temp rating is probably a bit too much too unless you're in the habit of razzing it everywhere.
Surely there's some other suitable 10W40 or 10W50 around you could get?
5W40 could indeed be too thin for Summer use for you

Studlife

problem solved i've ditched the AMS oil i finally found something i like Royal Purple 15W40 thanks for the help guys

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If you have very cold winters, then 5W is what Nissan recommend. If they don't get too cold then a 10W will do. 20W will probably be better for somewhere realy hot.