130 miles on motorway with RB box!

gtirx2

Was there ever a nismo gearbox?

Not sure if i have ever seen one, and they seem to get confused with rb gearboxs due to the ratio being basicly the same?

Its the same with rb lsd front and rear diffs,are these just nismo items or a completly different item?

Dont think i have ever seen an rb lsd diff either,it makes me wonder if all the rb gearboxs and diffs were just nismo items and where just classed as rb items as they came stock or specced on some of these cars?

gtirx2

Argh maybe i am getting confused with the rear ones.

What i was wondering is if the nismo and rb gearboxs and diffs are the same thing?

Like i have never seen an rb front diff only nismo and cusco ones,its like the rb front diffs are just nismo items and then called rb items as they have came out of an rb.

Same go's for the gearboxs,i have only ever seen one pic of a surposibly nismo gearbox from that guy in thailand which also had a nismo center diff.
The gears in that looked the exact same as that is found in the rb box's with the only gear being uprated being 3rd.
The ratios of the nismo gearboxs and rb boxs are also basicly the same, making me think they are the same thing?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I think RB ones might be getting confused with the NME RB models, but the whole set up on those cars were different I think.
I think on the road RB, the front lsd was an option and others were probably fitted aftermarket. Wether or not the option was Nismo or not I'm not sure, but it would probably make sense as it's a Nissan item.

splmum

RA gearbox ratio
Final Drive 4.125
1 3.285
2 1.850
3 1.272
4 0.954
5 0.740
R 3.266

RB gearbox ratio
Final Drive 4.077
1 3.067
2 2.295
3 1.653
4 1.272
5 0.911
R 2.320

You will notice that the RB 5th gear is almost the same ratio as the RA 4th gear. Consequently the
RB is doing 60mph at 3500rpm and 69mph at 4000rpm and 77mph at 4500rpm, whilst the
RA is doing 73mph at 3500rpm and 83.5mph at 4000rpm and 94mph at 4500rpm.

This is calculated for 195/55-14 wheels, so you may have 1-3mph variance with different diametre wheels.
hth