2006 BMW 330Di

G

GTIRocks

although i have never drove either of these i got mauled by a GTiR in my evo II (before its sad demise) and the R looked pretty standard ie no fmic ect ! imo there aint alot out there (that i have seen anyway) that will pull faster than a lil R. would love to see a 300+ R launch i assume its scarey/awsome/funny as hell. !!!!

T

tro||

for about 2000rpm.....lol

what some of you forget is its where you have your torque and for how long that is important :thumbsup:

bet none of you knew that an electric milk float has far more torque than most cars due to its electric motor but is about as much use as a chocolate ****ing tea pot when it comes to going fast...lol

youngsyp

tro|| said:
for about 2000rpm.....lol

what some of you forget is its where you have your torque and for how long that is important :thumbsup:
Agreed. Gear ratios and how long the car can hold them etc...... are also very important. The variables that make a car 'fast' are too numerous to count.
As has been said before, just because the car has more torque, doesn't mean it's faster. Look at F1 cars, they have very low peak torque figures but, they have a lot of 'space' under the torque curve. And they use the gears ratios to maximise that torque. It's the 'torque multiplyer' effect. The same/similar thing is true of the Honda Type R's. They all have fairly low peak torque figures but, they have a very wide 'flat' torque curve and high rev limit that is maximised by the gear ratios to make them fairly quick. Of course, as has been mentioned, the cars weight helps a great deal too.

Without 'in gear' acceleration times, it's difficult to judge how fast that BMW actually is but, going on the not overly impressive 0-60 time (remembering that rear wheel drive and all that torque should help it off the line fairly well), I would think a fairly mildly modded GTiR would keep up with it !
Even a standard GTiR would be well on it's way to 75 mph by the time the beemer hit's 60 mph, from a standing start, with a decent launch. With a free flow filter and decent exhaust (decat) the GTiR should be very responsive on the move so, if it's in the right gear, with the turbo boosting, the GTiR will hold it's own at the very least !
All theoretical of course !

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
stevepudney said:
What power do you reckon would be needed to catch one of these on a blast .

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/car-reviews/car-and-driving/bmw-330d-1004899.html

Read the important bits of the review before you make your guess

Off the line, rolling start & round some twisty A roads.

S
BMW driver assasinations aside and beside the fact I love performance diesels, given your criteria I'm actually with Carl on this one. It does 0-60 in about 6.5 seconds which is slower than a 1 Bar R whether standing start or rolling. Round some twisty A-Roads, that same 1 Bar R would be lighter and still have more power. The diesel would win on a motorway where you are cruising, put your foot down and just go.

Diesels are fantatsic in gear for fast paced A to B driving on the road. I agree with Lou Rob that the Seat Ibiza Cupra diesel is one of the most underrated cars on the road.

I think that press relaease is written by a BMW PR guy anyway. VAG and Merc are both superior IMO. The equivalent Merc 320 is stronger and smoother as stock and Audi just proved their capability by winning Le Mans.

youngsyp

steve963 said:
yeah I raced a 530d from 60 to 120 I think he might of just been creeping away
Hmmm, I've had a go at a Tuscan Speed Six at those sort of speeds and he wasn't going anywhere. Similar thing with a 993 Carrera 4 except, I almost ran into the back of him when I got into 3rd as I was accelerating so much faster than his 911 and mines only got basic breathing mods (Blitz filter with 100mm cold air feed, Hayward & Scott 3" elbow to 3" downpipe to 2.5" cat back system and AVC-R set to 1.00 KG/cm plus some other small bits to improve efficiency etc...)
What mods do you have ?

LOU ROB

campbellju said:
Diesels are fantatsic in gear for fast paced A to B driving on the road. I agree with Lou Rob that the Seat Ibiza Cupra diesel is one of the most underrated cars on the road.
I'm taking mine in to JBS Auto designs To get her custom code re-mapped to 210 bhp and 320 lbs of torque :thumbsup:

steve963

youngsyp said:
Hmmm, I've had a go at a Tuscan Speed Six at those sort of speeds and he wasn't going anywhere. Similar thing with a 993 Carrera 4 except, I almost ran into the back of him when I got into 3rd as I was accelerating so much faster than his 911 and mines only got basic breathing mods (Blitz filter with 100mm cold air feed, Hayward & Scott 3" elbow to 3" downpipe to 2.5" cat back system and AVC-R set to 1.00 KG/cm plus some other small bits to improve efficiency etc...)
What mods do you have ?
Just a de-cat pipe and 2.75" decat back, still running std boost at present:doh:
need airfilter fuel pump and bleed valve, me thinks:)