????????

cojack

I feel for you fella best get them plug's out and check for oil. and take it to the place that ported it and see what they did and what they can do about it. I see another xr2 tt situation here if it is thou so get ready to open that wallet.

P

pulsarboby

if your right itll be more than my wallet that gets opened up;-)
gonna check plugs, and compression check tomorrow, when lump is hot

P

pulsarboby

right chaps
done compression check today and got 152psi on each cylinder(which is v good) considering its only done 65 miles
plugs are burning as they should with no trace of oil on any of them, which tells me that my engine building skills are still top notch:-D 8)

so it seems in a roundabout way that my mechanic matey is right, with his warped logic, but you have to point your finger at the turbo!

its the only thing thats the same on the engine since the day i bought the car with the smoke, but after being rebuilt by a so called reputable company like essex turbos twice:shock: you think they would have got it right, but obviously not!

dont know what to do now, im torn between getting a new gt28 or maybe a 3071 but im wondering even with the .64 housing if its gonna be a bit laggy for curcuit use, as i need big power on instant tap when pulling out of bends, without revving the ass off it!

i must say though that the engine work ive carried out has given me one blisteringly quick car, and still got 700cc sards to fit and z32afm, when its all fitted and mapped think im gonna kick some serious butt with this car,
without sounding pompous or big headed mind;-)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Is it alot of smoke or a little smoke? ie can you live with it or do you have to cure it? turbo is the easiest to replace, but if that doesn't sort it, it could be worth looking at the valve guides (assuming the new valve stem seals aren't the culprit, I know it's possible on other cars with new stem seals to have them go tits up on fittting)

P

pulsarboby

after doing comp test i really dont think it is them as from past experience if seals were leaking you generally get oil drip in cylinders overnight which causes smoke on a start up after 30 seconds or so, i also checked top of pistons whilst doing comp test when engine was hot, and there is not a spot of oil on them, so everything points to that tubby im afraid!

who has one of these 3071 tubbys fitted? what are they like when you want to get the power down?

for arguement sake say your exiting a sweeping bend at 40mph in third with 2k revs and you nail it, what sort of lag is there compared to gt28?

honest answers please, as i dont wanna waste more money buying the wrong turbo, ive wasted enough already!

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Very few turbos are going to do much at 2K, drop a gear and floor it. Quite a few people on here have the 3071 now. Allegedly it's the right choice. (spools harder faster and longer than the standard turbo)

sumo

well i think its ur turbo mate if ur valve stem seals waz nakerd it would smoke when u giv it throttle and when u come of it the turbo my mate had a recon turbo on his cos and it only lasted 40 mile only smoked when u came of the throttle :doh: