Advice needed about tuning my R...

Granite-GTiR

Hi all,

I currently toying with the decision to tune my R to around the region of 400-450bhp:twisted: . But i'm not really sure what parts i'll need to get to achieve this sort of power and then theres the matter of cost?

Here the spec of my R at the moment:

Black 1994 (L reg)
73,000 miles
Mongoose exhaust
FMIC
HKS induction filter
Sard ECU upgrage
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Apexi AVCR
Hi Spec 285mm front brakes
19 row oil cooler + oil filter relocation kit.
16" black league alloys
Eagle F1 tires all round
Cusco front strut brace
Whiteline rear strut brace
G-Force adjustable coilovers
Battery relocated to boot
Cobra clubman bucket seats + subframes.

Parts still to fit:

Fuel swirl tank + bosch pumps
forge actuater
water injection unit
Whiteline front antiroll bar
Whiteline adjustable rear antiroll bar
Full respay is on the cards too.

I'm trying to way up the amount of money i'll be needing to spend, it would be nice to know the value of an R with 400-450bhp too.

Any help on which parts to get for the upgrade and what sort of money i'll be looking at to achieve my desired bhp would be greatly appriated as this is my first R that i've owned and i'm abit unsure what to do to it.

Also i'd be interested in what you guys thinks the value of it is as it stands?

Cheers.

EVOBAD

bigger turbo
z32 maf
720 injectors
me be stronger clutch
power fc or any other after market ecu greddy etc:thumbsup:

& about £800 to set it all up:thumbsup:

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
You might want to add a Rebuild to that list!

Pistons
Head Gasket
ARP Rod Bolts
APR Head Studs
ACL Race Bearings
Water Pump
Oil Pump
Cam Kit

Labour in Build Cost..

etc...

Rishi

EVOBAD

RishiGTiR said:
You might want to add a Rebuild to that list!

Pistons
Head Gasket
ARP Rod Bolts
APR Head Studs
ACL Race Bearings
Water Pump
Oil Pump
Cam Kit

Labour in Build Cost..

etc...

Rishi
as richi states abov will be needed to very expensive so i would just go for 350 400 bhp with strd pistons ,then get it set up:thumbsup:

Granite-GTiR

EVOBAD said:
as richi states abov will be needed to very expensive so i would just go for 350 400 bhp with strd pistons ,then get it set up:thumbsup:
Ok, How expensive would we be talking to get the parts for the rebuild, as i'd really like to push for 450bhp??
I'd do the work myself so that would get rid of the labour cost.

Also what about the tranmission, what do you recommend doing to the gearbox to make it handle 450bhp? Quaife box?

20vturbogaz

i think anything over the 400 mark and you've got to have a quaife box .your looking at 3000 grand for one .but with a standard box you won't make the most of the power. coz you'll have to watch how you put the power down all the time. If i was to do all that work to the engine it's silly not to uprate the box .

good luck tho

20vturbogaz

MINESGTIR said:
3000 grand is an expensive box !!!
I'm sure thats the going rate for the box .it's fook king good stuff tho remember you get what you paid for . :chained:

EVOBAD

u can by the parts for about £1600 for the gear box from hitec & if your doing the work your self u can get alot of the bits from the states

forge piston £370ish
s/sheadgasket £70ish
eagle conrods with arp bolts £280
all the other bits for rebuilt from nissan

Granite-GTiR

20vturbogaz said:
i think anything over the 400 mark and you've got to have a quaife box .your looking at 3000 grand for one .but with a standard box you won't make the most of the power. coz you'll have to watch how you put the power down all the time. If i was to do all that work to the engine it's silly not to uprate the box .

good luck tho
£3000:shock:

Granite-GTiR

Thanks for the info EVOBAD. Just looked on the hiteq site, the quaife kit is £1695, much more reasonable than £3000, but i take it these are just parts that require fitting??

As for the engine parts you've listed, is that to produce up to 400bhp or over??

Adam L

just don't buy anything from tuners and you'll save a bundle

you can get all sorts from Japan aswell, Tomei/HKS/JUN cams for £100 each

and £220 for HKS/Tomei forged pistons, if you can get them sent as a gift you're laughing

the list goes on, just have a search around...

20vturbogaz

Granite-GTiR said:
Thanks for the info EVOBAD. Just looked on the hiteq site, the quaife kit is £1695, much more reasonable than £3000, but i take it these are just parts that require fitting??

As for the engine parts you've listed, is that to produce up to 400bhp or over??
sorry man it's 3000 grand for the box with the quaife gears already fitted. If your going to do it you self then 1600 quid it is .:thumbsup:

Granite-GTiR

I'll have a shop around then and see what i can find.

As i'm planning to rebuild the engine to take 400-450bhp, with all the bits that i'm going to upgrade is this a good target bhp or would i be able to get more bhp for the same money??

PaulB

Theres a few choices for a box..

QUAIFE BOX

PPG HELICAL AND DOG

PAR BOX

I think the quaife is the best of the lot......

A standard box will be doin a lot of work at 400bhp and wont last too long, much over that and will last a run or two, might even start split the casing..... y
itl certainly be on your mind all the time

Most of those gearkits above £2k, which is without rebuilding with new bearings
etc....Be around £3k all built up id imagine.

Last edited:

Fazz

Think the PPG Straight cut is the box to go for.

Looking at 2.5k ish.

For 400 bhp:

Rebuild with ported polished head - 500-750
Egnien Fitting & Labour - 1000-1500
Forged Pistons - 350-600
Rod Bolts - 50
Head Gasket - 130
Uprated Turbo - 950
Actuator - 130
Clutch - 400
Front Mount - 400
700cc Injectors - 200
Z32 AFM - 150
Power FC/AEM/Motec/Emanage Ult - 600
Boost Controller - 200
Good Mapper - 400
Brakes - 500
Exhaust - 250

Then you've got options of
Cams
3" custom turbo elbow and downpipe
Tubular Manifold
Uprated ingition coil, blaster - if goin above 1.6bar

Did I mention gearbox??

PPG straight cut - 2.5k, plus fitting!

EVOBAD

Granite-GTiR said:

yes these will see u well past 400bhp on pastes experious i used just rod bolts with strd rods then the rod deceided to giv in thats why is stated put a full set of forge rods & bolts with 87m pistons plus cams & full lighten-balance ,the engine will be good for 500plus,gt35 turbo,apexi power fc ,850 injection ,u can get all these from the states at bargain prices:thumbsup:

Adam L

£130 for an actuator? sounds steep, use a -31 for £60, genuine Garrett item, the best you'll find

£1000-£1500 labour, you got done over if you paid that. Do it yourself, at least if something goes wrong you'll know what to do next time...

Fazz

Adam L said:
£130 for an actuator? sounds steep, use a -31 for £60, genuine Garrett item, the best you'll find

£1000-£1500 labour, you got done over if you paid that. Do it yourself, at least if something goes wrong you'll know what to do next time...
Bad idea.

Do it yourself if you have experience with these cars and patience.

However if you're not a mechanic like I get the cash out...

The 1k included taking engine out and stripping, putting back together and re-fitting. And I was happy to pay that. GTI-R's are a bitch to do anything on.