Advice needed about tuning my R...

Granite-GTiR

I'd be rebuilding the engine myself so that will cut down the cost.

Basically i've got 4-5K set aside for this car, do you think that will cover the cost of engine upgrade to 450ish BHP, quaife gearbox or similar and ecu (Power FC/AEM/Motec/Emanage Ult)??

Granite-GTiR

Fazz said:
Think the PPG Straight cut is the box to go for.

Looking at 2.5k ish.

For 400 bhp:

Rebuild with ported polished head - 500-750
Egnien Fitting & Labour - 1000-1500
Forged Pistons - 350-600
Rod Bolts - 50
Head Gasket - 130
Uprated Turbo - 950
Actuator - 130
Clutch - 400
Front Mount - 400
700cc Injectors - 200
Z32 AFM - 150
Power FC/AEM/Motec/Emanage Ult - 600
Boost Controller - 200
Good Mapper - 400
Brakes - 500
Exhaust - 250

Then you've got options of
Cams
3" custom turbo elbow and downpipe
Tubular Manifold
Uprated ingition coil, blaster - if goin above 1.6bar

Did I mention gearbox??

PPG straight cut - 2.5k, plus fitting!
Is this what you've had done Fazz?? If so what BHP does your engine produce?

Fazz

ya mine hasall the above less :
- tubular manifold
- cams
- ppg gearbox.

Said I'd go for the pwoer first and see if the box holds out.
I'm running 1.5/1.6bar on a 3071r so prob between 370-410bhp I guess.

Seeing if box holds out. if it does I'll try stay where I am a while. If it doesn't I'll uprate and get a mani and cams and up to 1.8or so bar.
Hoping I won't have to though as 400ish is plenty on the road.

Have a rolling road day in few weeks to find out for sure.
feels 380ish, maybe 400.

To be honest its all been a heartache so I'm just happy to have her running well.

And don't think there's a lot in it between 370-390-410-430 , I'd prefer be on the lower side if it means my gearbox holding out!

There have been R's out there with 400bhp and gearboxes have lasted. You could try that route with the peace of mind that cash is waiting if gearbox breaks.

Granite-GTiR

Yeah i thats a very good option Fazz, hadn't looked at it that way.

So the engine would be able to handle the power i'm after (400-450bhp) but if i run it at lower boost the standard gearbox should be ok too (say 380-400bhp)?

Seems like a much cheeper ways of doing things for now. But do you think i could do all the engine work and get the gearbox for 5k or less as i'm gonna do most of the work myself??

Fazz

Ok so if you're capable of fitting, stripping and putting engine build toghether then I'd estimate costs at:

For 400 bhp:

Rebuild with ported polished head - 500
Egnien Fitting & Labour - Many Many curses :lol:
Forged Pistons - 350-600 (350 Wiseco's/JE's, 600 HKS's)
Rod Bolts - 50
Head Gasket - 130
Uprated Turbo - 950
Actuator - 100
Clutch - 400
Front Mount - 400
700cc Injectors - 200
Z32 AFM - 150
Power FC/AEM/Motec/Emanage Ult - 600
Boost Controller - 200
Good Mapper - 400
Brakes - 500
Exhaust - 250

So that's about 4.5k-5k alone....
I'd advise choosing your mapper to decide on ECU. Power FC is plenty for that power but hard to get these days. Emanage ULt a slight cheaer option - fusion ed seems capable with these. Or splash out more cash on Motec/AEM for the business.

PPG Box parts alone are 2-2.5k. If you can build it then fine otherwise budget more.

I know you have some of the above parts already so it'll bring cost down - can't search back in mid post...
You may be there or thereabouts?

Fazz

ok take off about 800-1000 for front mount, boost controller and exhaust which you have.

You're down to 3.5k-4k for engine.

Another frame of mind would be get to 400bhp, if box goes you could rebuild it many times over and not pay the cost of a ppg/quaiffe. Some owners on here did that iirc.
Having the casing cryo treated seems popular at mo if you do rebuild. Hell even if you put in a quaiffe or ppg its advisable. unless you go for straight cut which should take the load away from casing.

I ain't no expert on here jsut been through the rebuild process (twice) uprated most of the parts and picked up a bit of info from searches on here. If it ain't been done on here it ain't worth doin!

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
You may want to revaluate those prices...

Quaife - £1695 + VAT.. Thats £1991 inc VAT... Then you have about £500 worth of Nissan parts unless you want to trash your box due to the likes of a 15year old bearing failing.. That takes you to £2500.. Then you need to machine part of it to get it to fit in the case correctly.. More cost.. You can save yourself the small built cost that comes at the end though.. Hardly worth it...

PPG - For the PPG 5-Speed Dog Box its going to cost you £3100 in parts alone! Then you have the £250 delivery and £500 tax if you can't get away with it when shipping from AUS.. If you want the complete Dog Box including the Billet Final drive then its £3700 for just the parts.. Then you need to ship, tax and build the thing..

Engine Parts - Most can be bought cheap from the US.. But if you think you are going to get HKS pistons for £200 as someone suggested then you are dreaming! Mahle, CP, JE, WISCO, ROSS, ARIAS can all be bought for between £200 - £400 depending on who you know.. RNN14 HKS Pistons can be bought from the Japan for around £400 delivered.. Head Gasket, Bearings and Bolts are best bought from the UK.. They are cheap enough that you won't really save any money buying them overseas.. You could end up spending thousands on this engine depending on how far you want to go.. Pistons, Rods, Cams, Crank, Head Work, etc...

Turbo - GT3076 will give you the power you want.. HKS GT3037 will do the same but spool quicker. Will cost you a lot more too.. With these kind of setups you will want a Tubular Manifold, and External Wastegate setup.. Expect to pay anywhere from £2000 - £3000 depending on which items you buy..

Management - ECU, Injectors, Fuel System.. Emanage, PowerFC, AEM, Motec whatever you think you need. Costs vary from £300 - £3000... Then you need your Injectors, Fuel System and Sensors.. Add another £300 - £1000 depending on your chosen setup..

Cooling - FMIC, Twin Core Rad - £500 - £1000 depending on setup..

Clutch - £300 - £1500 depending on what you choose... Single or Twin Plate setup...

Thats all just to get you the power... Then you need to think about the Chasis Modifications to handle all that power.. Braces, Suspension, Brakes, etc...

There is more...

Rishi

MORF114

so far including the price of my car ive spent in a year getting it halfway where i want it to be only need a gearbox and better brakes :oops: and im 3/4 of the way there im aiming for 400-450 this year and ive spent around $40,000 so probably just over 14,000 pounds in under a year and i bought deans engine and saved a bit of cash.

Granite-GTiR

:shock: Ok i might have to wait until i get abit more money sorted - make that alot more money! :doh:

Thanks for all the info guys.

MORF114

Once you start you dont wanna stop untill its finished and it will cost alot!! so you have been warned :thumbsup:

Wish someone warned me :cry: :lol:

O

Odin

Granite-GTiR said:
:shock: Ok i might have to wait until i get abit more money sorted - make that alot more money! :doh:

Thanks for all the info guys.

I've spent nearly 50k on my R in the last 6 years :shock: :doh: , And it still doesn't work :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob

Granite-GTiR

Odin said:
I've spent nearly 50k on my R in the last 6 years :shock: :doh: , And it still doesn't work :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob
:shock: 50K!!! Damn, what do you do for a living, rob banks?!?