Blinding Idea: cheap frontmount ic (big pics)

R

rscos320bhp

INTERCOOLER

cheers guys sorry about the blue cloth it hides a tempary bodge on the dump valve intake pipe .A bit of good old ducktape never hurt any thing, just waiting for new pipe to arrive

kyepan

leeboy said:
Its efficient because of the shape of the end caps, because both ends are oposite it uses the full intercooler rather than just the centre section, its hard to explain but im sure you know what i mean
thats right, thats what the article says, the end tank design is very efficent, and the loss of air flow speed is very slight so its very efficent at non restrictive, giving more power over less efficent boxy designs.

i'll see if i can find the article on it.

L

leeboy

Thats the one mate, also ive said this before, you cant just put the intercooler in the front and expect all the air to go through it, you have to duct the air, otherwise its going to go around it.

Because of the fin and cooling effect the air has to work hard to weave its way through the core, causing high presure build up. If its not ducted the air is just going to flow around, thats why the top mount has a big seal around it atached to the bonnet.

lee

Dooie Pop Pop

leeboy said:
Thats the one mate, also ive said this before, you cant just put the intercooler in the front and expect all the air to go through it, you have to duct the air, otherwise its going to go around it.

Because of the fin and cooling effect the air has to work hard to weave its way through the core, causing high presure build up. If its not ducted the air is just going to flow around, thats why the top mount has a big seal around it atached to the bonnet.

lee
im not going 5to disagree with you lee, but i think the tmic needs the seal cos its mounted horizontally. with a fmic the airs going to go through it wether it likes it or not. ducting will improve air flow :wink: but not having it doesn' t mean a lot the airs gonna flow around the ic does it :?

the surface area of the nissan rad is larger than the oe cossie one which was frontmounted without ducting and he doesn' t have a cheese grater causing negative pressure to worry about either :D

either way £100 odd for a fmic is still brilliant 8)

regards, stu

Nad

leeboy said:
Its efficient because of the shape of the end caps, because both ends are oposite it uses the full intercooler rather than just the centre section, its hard to explain but im sure you know what i mean
The best designs tend to be the ones where it enters the centre with splitter plates to direct the air down both end of the core. This allows for a better flow path and distribution. The standard FMIC flows well for a 'standard' factory intercooler. Also the R33 FMIC is very good as well, thats why I have upgraded to that.

Nad

JIMMYBACK

Nad said:
leeboy said:
The best designs tend to be the ones where it enters the centre with splitter plates to direct the air down both end of the core. This allows for a better flow path and distribution. The standard FMIC flows well for a 'standard' factory intercooler. Also the R33 FMIC is very good as well, thats why I have upgraded to that.

Nad
a little of subect wot do u reckon of the hybrid core then nad? :D

Nad

JIMMYBACK B said:
a little of subect wot do u reckon of the hybrid core then nad? :D
That because I didnt want to comment ;) Put it this way I would have gone for a Norris FMIC if IMO I thought it was any good, I havent. But well done to the man for trying something different though. As far as I am concerned its all to do with flow path. Every change in direction knocks flow. Therefore I have chosen a design the may have a long pipe run but it flows better than a short sharp one.

Nad

Dooie Pop Pop

lol the extra six ft of pipework helps smooth air flow and helps cooling 8) imo i dont care either way :lol: i like mine. thanks for the comments nad :wink:

stu

boucherie

just a thought, but is there enough space to lower the rad and using the TMIC feed the pipe work above and below the rad :?: as earlier in this thread someone mentioned putting the pipework under the rad. if you had one go over & one go under, you wouldnt need to modify the TM, thus saving more money :D and maximising the intercoolers effiency. 8) If this isnt possible with the exsisting rad is there a slightly smaller, non OE rad that could be fitted, to make this possible? (i think V pulsar posted a thread on rads but not sure if that one was slightly smaller and a bit thicker)

Dooie Pop Pop

you wouldn' t save money if you have to buy a new rad mate :lol: unless you found one. besides if you can weld aluminium it costs next to nothing. micks ic is on a cossie so the pipes clear just right :wink: