bloody import tax

Trip

the €24 they charge over here are to fill out the customs/duty papers. At least, they do ask you if you wish to fill it out yourself or else we do if for you for a €24.. It only takes around 5minues if you know what to do. Its too complex and mind bogging for me. I am no accountant.

O

Odin

is true what your saying rob, but £23 on a part that cost £58 is a bit steep do you not think?
Yes it is a bit steep but in the grand scheme of things it all evens out in the end, Well it does for me anyway ;-), I had one box delivered with over 3 *****'s worth of stuff in it and only paid £25 in duty/tax ;-):lol:.

Most people you deal with in the states will mark the stuff down for you if you aks nicely, When I do get caught out the only thing that bugs me is paying the fee that parcel force or DHL charge, I'm quite happy to pay the vat but paying their bl00dy fee does grate with me :evil::doh:.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I can understand when it's something really big, like a container; the carrier gets slugged by customs to inspect it (even though it's their job and it should be paid for by tax?), then they get charged because it's taking up warehouse/wharf space until customs decide what they want to do with it... then maybe they get some kind of bill for the import duty etc, so they add it all up and pass it on to you.
I don't understand how they rack up so many costs with a package that can go straight through and x-ray machine and clearly has the contents and price on the front of it. You find yourself thinking 'sure that's why I paid extra for this courier/parcel service, so that all these fees (but not tax or duty) should be included.' - If when you bought it you were told, 'there is a £18 handling fee added to the shipping for entry into the UK' you may not like it, but at least you'd know before hand.