BMW M5,Porsche 911,Skyline GTR,TVR.

pete-r

deank93 said:
You get payed enough to look at cars like that for the misses and you've got guns too 8) i must be in the wrong line of work :(
I now work for the private sector Dean,its the way ahead apparently :lol:

GINGA

pete-r said:
Cheers Alfy,i thought only the z4 had vanos.Didnt a lot of the BM,s with vanos get recalled?which year/model should i be looking out for?

Pete
think all M powered cars from 1996 onwards had vanos, the most notable problems were on the m3 evo's were its a common problem and costs £1500+ a time to fix :shock: the m5 has twin vanos :wink:

Check out this site for all your M5 info 8)
http://www.bm3w.com

If going for something like a M5 etc is it would wise to consider a after market warranty from somewhere like http://www.warrantydirect.co.uk for peace of mind, as while these sort of cars are generally very reliable if something does go wrong it will more than likely cost BIG :cry:

A

alfyboy

[/quote]
Cheers Alfy,i thought only the z4 had vanos.Didnt a lot of the BM,s with vanos get recalled?which year/model should i be looking out for?
Pete[/quote]

All BMW 6cyl engines from about 96 on (i think) have some version of the vanous system.
It was a single vanous on the early M3s and other 6cyl BMs only working the inlet cam then the first double vanous (for inlet & exhaust) was put on the E36 M3 evo to help with mid range torque.
About year 2000 double vanous was put on all 6 cyl engines throught the range, in the last couple of years a new style single vanous has been introduced to the new 4cyl engine. (which is the worst engine they have ever built)
Even with early models being recalled you can still get problems, mostly due to poor service history and having its ass kicked in.
As for which year and model? I would go for as late a model as you can afford. Some of the earlier E39s suffered from anoying promblems such as front shockers, backing plates braking up, ball joints, wheel bearings, interior electracal faults etc. The later you buy the better they seam to get, the E39 evolved into a fecking great car and by the time they had got it just right, they brought out the E60 a totally fecked everything up :lol:.
Tbh honest mate the E39 M5 engine is proberly the best engine BMW has ever build mechanicly, it still suffers occasionaly from the likes of cam, crank, tps sensor faults like all modern cars but if you look after it, it will run and run.
Jesus, i rabbled on for a bit, sorry for taking up so much space on the forum. Hope this helps

Alfy

G

GTI-R.steve

Well ive just swapped my BMW M3evo convertable 4 a Pulsar, cos i wanted more power n better handlin but i cudnt afford a nice tuned skyline.
I used 2 av a 200SX tuned but that was well 2 back end happy 4 me so go 4 the skyline, u no in yr heart its the better car :D