car wont start

Rav

went to the cash machine yesterday morning in rush hour traffic just jumped out and left the t/timer running as i was walking back it turned off. i thought to myself funny that as i had set it to 10 min and i wasn't that long so... i call the rac to get towed home and i tell him i reckon its me fuel pump he has a look around and agrees. i just fitted a new walbro fuel pump and still no tick over.

i have placed a voltmeter on the pump with the ignition on and its only receiving 9volts me thinks thats not enough to make it spin. plz help

mattygti-r

mate , flick on the avcr or turbo timer and check the battery voltage, coudl be the alternator?

are you double sure the pump is fitted correctly?

B

Brett G

This might be a silly question but does the car turn over? :?:

Rav

right got the car started using a direct feed from the battery to the pump :oops: .

the pump dosen't wind up if its connected properly.

i now think its the fuel pump relay. the thing is u can hear the relay click when u turn the ignition on.

and to awnser your question brett no it doesn't turn over. it tries to but doesn't quite make it

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If it ain't turning over then your battery's probably flat and if it went flat with the car running the chances are your alternator is not charging.

Also check the battery terminals are tight and there are no wires hanging off the alternator.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Check the voltage across the two points on the alternator... It should be reading between 14.4v - 13.8v

Any less and it needs replacing...

Rav

battery is fine reading on the apexi t/timer reads 12.3

alternator is fine

the power going to the fuel pump reads 8.9volts which is very little not enough to spin it. i have just ordered a fuel pump relay so that should hopefully solve that.

just hope its not ecu

i have an avcr boost controller thats not going to be the problem

Rav

right just had the new walbro pump fitted (cheers gary) and a new fuel pump relay. the car starts and moves but it hesitates on pulling away in 1st gear, it wont allow me to boost at all it just spits and jerks in every gear.

all the gears are the same (no boost) all the pipes have been double checked and are all ok.

i thought the avcr may have something to do with it so i unplugged it and the problem still occurs.

someone said i should check my sensors?????????

i think it may be time to sort it and sell up :oops: :(

the only thing i can think of is getting a diagnostic check at my local nissan garage to see if its the ECU, my mate reckons the ecu is not allowing extra air to mix with the fuel??????

any help will be appreciated cheers

Rav

O

Olly

Rav whats the battery voltage at the terminals with the engine running/idling? 8)

Rav

olly the voltage at the terminals 12.5 ish which is fine so i have been told.

when the car starts up it sounds fine but when u pull away u notice some hesitation before it pulls in first gear, as soon as u get near the boost range it starts kangerooing and jumping then it just stalls.

i unplugged the avcr to see if it made any difference. but it didn't change much.

just cleaned the maf sensor and still no joy.

alternator is fine as i checked the batt voltage on my apexi t/timer while idling

mattygti-r

nooooo dont sell it :oops: your beginning to sound like me!

it could be your ECU
thou the car has been running fine since the avcr was installed hasnt it :oops:

O

Olly

12.5 volts at idle i would say is quite low chap if you raise the revs does it get any higher????? you could really do with 13.5 volts or more, does sound like you may have a worn alternator at least.

Rav

well its got to that point now where it s time to choose

i have booked the car in to be checked and sorted and should be back on the road within a months time

Rav

how much for a new alternator????

where do i go to get it reconditioned???

would that really be the reason for the me not being able to boost?????

O

Olly

Rav said:
how much for a new alternator????£150 i'd say for a non nissan part, £60 ish for a overhaul, £350 i think for a new nissan one.

where do i go to get it reconditioned??? Look in yellow pages to find nearest place the place i use is called CCM in ditchling industrial estate but there maybe someone nearer to you.

would that really be the reason for the me not being able to boost????? Quite possibly the ECU is struggluing to work on such a low voltage like less than 11 volts etc, remember 2 problems can make 1, so sort out what evers not right and eventually you will have it sorted and reliable. 8)