Eeek! My Gtir sounds like a WRX 2

MarkTurbo

Tomorrow is fine mate :wink: Anytime after lunchtime should be ok cos i'm not staying at home tonight. At least if you come round my place i'll have all my tools about :lol:

I'll pm you in a minute :wink:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Re: ye

nitrosgti-r said:
the car doesn't smoke at all, not even on boost? It does smell a bit rich when cold but thats about it?
What plugs/gap have you got? It might be worth taking them out and checking them, it could it be cold fouling :?

nitrosgti-r

ye

ye iv checked the plugs and i don't know what plugs they are, ngk platinum i think? All the gaps look to be ok? Hope fully mark will be able to sort me out 2moro (fingers crossed!!).

cheers all, i hate cars but i love my R :cry: :roll:

MarkTurbo

Just incase anyone wants to give a second opinion :wink:

Brett came round earlier and i looked at his car, the intercooler and breather system were full of oil so theres definatly excess crankcase pressure there. So i did a compression test and got 150psi across cylinders 1-3 and 50 psi on no 4 :( So i'm 99% sure its a piston.

Must be a ringland though cos there was still a bit of compression on that cylinder. It had a bit of a misfire now and again (which was probably down to the plug being covered in oil) but it wasnt chucking out blue smoke or anything :?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The misfire may just be down to the lack of compression on no4 cylinder. Last time I had a head gasket go on my old car you could boot it sometimes and it seemed to run spot on with abit of boost filling the cylinders, but then sounded like the scooby (but still faster) when running on 3 cylinders.
It might be worth checking the rockers are ok before comitting to a head gasket, but it's sounding like the head gasket/ringland.

MarkTurbo

A rocker arm coming off wouldnt give you an oily plug so that counts that out :wink:

And i dont personally think it is the headgasket, there is a serious amount of blow-by on the engine which is where all the oil in the intercooler etc is coming from and theres no mayonnaise on the oil cap/losing water problems (as far as i'm aware :wink: )

sypher

for a loss of 100 psi in a cylinder the things that come to mind are head gasket failed, badly seated valve / burnt ( unlikely , but hey ) and piston ring failure and / or ring land failure (these both happened to mine on no' 2). to be honest if comp's are low in a cylinder the engine will have to come to bits to find cause, however if a single spark plug is glazed black this is oil and it is of my opinion the piston or rings are the cause. if all plugs are of equal appearance there may be a stuck open injector which can wash the bore and cause lack of compresion ( i haven't read the whole post so if not already done swap injector to different cylinder and re check for missfire)

A loss of 100 psi of compresion will cause a missfire as >>>100% good cylinder =150psi so 50psi is only equal to 33.3% , and when the turbo works !!!!! forgot to say just simply remove the rocker cover and check the arms

nitrosgti-r

thanx

First off BIG thanx to mark for having a look, its nice to speek to some one that knows what they are doing :wink:

So any way i am going to think the worst and say that the rings have gone and go for a new (ish) bottom end. Either way i will have to strip the engine and if i find its just the gasket then thats a bonus but if not then i will have to fit the bottom end, with a bit of help from Mark if he's still up for it :?: :p

MarkTurbo

Glad to help mate :wink:

I've just been thinking and it might be worth removing the head with the engine still in the car :shock: I'm sure there was someone on here that had done it this way. I took my head off with the engine out, but i should imagine it can be done with the engine in it'd just be a bit more of an awkward job :(

At least then you could see what the damage was without removing the engine :?:

Its up to you want you want to do with the car really though. But my offer to do the job for you still stands :wink:

nitrosgti-r

head off

Thats very good of you mate. I might see if i can get the head off my self in the car. How difficult is this? Would i need any special tools? And is there any thing i would need to know before attempting it? A walk through would be good to any one that has enough time to waste writing endless babble....?

How is your car gettng on any way Mark?

MarkTurbo

Its a b i t c h of a job apparently :lol:

My cars not going too bad, gearbox and transferbox are on now :D But i've run into a slight problem :x Should be sorted tomorrow though 8)