emissions fail

k20 gtr

Put the r in for its mot today only failed on the handbrake performance and the emissions,
The tester said that my carbon was at 70 and it should be 20, it failed on idle and fast idle but he said everything else was fine...
what do you think could cause this and what could you recomend to get it to pass? thanks!

MarkTurbo

k20 gtr said:
The tester said that my carbon was at 70 and it should be 20
20 what :? Have you got the emissions test printout? If so look and see what the CO level and HC levels were, the CO level should be in % and the HC level in PPM ;-)

k20 gtr

nope i never got it picked it up when the garage was closing he just said everything ewas fine except the carbon, it was 70 and needs to be 20?

P

pulsarboby

:doh: would assume he means hc
you really need to find out what hes on about:roll:

k20 gtr

yeah i think so had alook on the mot site so that seems to tie in was quite annoying that he wasent more specifc etc, what is it a cat cuts down?

MarkTurbo

A cat cuts down both the CO and HC levels ;-)

Yours is a uk R isnt it so i assume the test was done for cars equipped with a cat??? If so theres a fast idle test where the engine is held at 2500-3000 rpm with a 0.2% CO limit and 200ppm HC limit. And a test at idle where the CO needs to be 0.3% max.

So him saying 20 means absolutely nothing :lol: Just buy a cat off somebody for £20 and stick it on at mot time for f**ks sake and you'll save yourself all this hassle :doh:

k20 gtr

Thats what ive been wanting to do, just put it in for its mot 3 weeks early to see how it would do, I can get a cat off a polo i just dont want to chop the mongoose to fit the dammed thing!! Yeah its a 92 uk sunny, it idels quite high which i thought mite be caused by the safc it also has an adjustable fuel pressure regulator....

MarkTurbo

Which mongoose is it? If its got the small silencer that bolts in basically level with where the drivers seat is then theres no need to cut anything to put the cat back on ;-)

k20 gtr

Thats the one but i dont have a cat to put in and would a standard cats diameter piping not be alot smaller and the flanges too?

k20 gtr

dont suppose you have a spare one lying around bean i could borrow? I just went to adjust my handbrake but.... no adjuster where is it? under the armrest?

gtir bean

sorry dont have one.you adjust it just under the lever.if you pull it up a bit you should see it.think its a 10mm.probably worth cleaning the sliders and re greasing them on the calipers as well.how did they test the handbrake do you know?

k20 gtr

just on the rollers i think both sides failed i knew it needed done just never bothered. So will a standard cat definatly fit the moongoose, i thought its pipes would be much bigger???

gtir bean

the goose pipes are bigger but the bolt spacing on the flange will be the same so it will bolt on fine for the mot.i hope they used a 4 wheel roler and not one where the front wheels stay still when checking the rear brakes?

k20 gtr

it was just the normal two wheel roller, i never knew u got 4 wheel ones, the do need adjusted roller abit the other day with the handbrake on.

gtir bean

i wouldnt let them put it on a roller like that.it wont do your transfer box any favours.they should just take it out and drive it with a box that measures the g forces in the foot well i think.mine went thru fine at the place i went in perth and its only £27.

k20 gtr

did yours have the box? Great now i'm worried about my transfer box, dunno which would be worse tho that or my car with a mechanic ragging it around!!?? Was that perth garage if so there a rip off mercahant as soon as you lea=ve full fee and pick up on ridiculos thinghs just to get a fail and have you back!!

gtir bean

no not them.the place i went dont charge a full fee for taking it bach.they never with other cars i took there anyway.they dont take it out and rag it,just down the road and back.i think if the handbrake works it will be ok.

k20 gtr

thats the handbrake done now so just this cat problem, i was thinking of using a polo one and sleeving it into the goose flanges but dont really want to do that but cant see me getting a gtir one this week!

D

deslynam

Don't fit the Polo one, get a proper one rather than trying to bodge it!
If that's your thread on the modifier's website, i've got the one from my Pulsar that you can have for a token amount...