Engine out

nimhbk

A good day is a slight ache, and then a bad day is when i need help to even get out of bed.
as Long as i am standing its ok.
But if it kills me that @ucking engine is going back in my shi@@er

turugtir

Sorry for the hijack, but I have to go to the same process.

I have to take the engine and the gearbox too and I was thinking that maybe unbolting the suspension on the turrets, unbolting the subframe and all the other stuff is attached to the car, and then, raising the shell to take the engine from under the car would be a good idea. Has anyone tried this?

whytie

I think it all depends on what tools you have if you have ramps or engine crane ect. If not and its just on your drive id proberly just take front end off and pull it out.

gtiroz

Administrator
Staff member
it can be dropped without crane or chain:

remove the hubs/struts/controlarms/driveshafts as one piece each side (won't need re-alignment)

lower the front until the engine sits on the ground (or trolley if you want to wheel it out), undo engine mounts,
then use a strong plank across the chassis rails, and decent sized jack to raise the car from the middle (behind the front wheels):

(scissor jacks were just for a bit of extra stability - bumper can stay on too)

if you're doing clutch or box - remove the housing bolts at the bottom before dropping it all the way...

edit: engine removal guide referred to below: http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44969

Last edited:

geoff pine

Sorry for the hijack, but I have to go to the same process.

I have to take the engine and the gearbox too and I was thinking that maybe unbolting the suspension on the turrets, unbolting the subframe and all the other stuff is attached to the car, and then, raising the shell to take the engine from under the car would be a good idea. Has anyone tried this?
Mr gtir (andy chan) has writen a how to you just need to do a quick search on here

As said by gtiroz, a bit of 4x4 fencw post across your chassis rails and lift car up, easy peasy.
If your carefull you can even do it with the front bumper on.
Just need to take off the support bar at the bottom.

nimhbk

more pics of new short block

Was doing really well yesterday until the chain dropped... will have to take the sump and oil pump apart again. good fun thou

frit

Was doing really well yesterday until the chain dropped... will have to take the sump and oil pump apart again. good fun thou
Im pretty sure you dont have to have the chain mark on the crank mark, just make sure when you're timing it up that the camshaft marks are pointing in the right direction and there is the right amount of chain links (11 i think but dont take my word for it) between the marks on the sprockets (obviously piston 1 on TDC).

edit - Or have i got the wrong end of the stick and its dropped right in and you cant get to it?? :doh::lol:

Last edited:

nimhbk

Big thank you to Bob and Dan
The evc was about to fly out of the garage window
If it was not for their advice
Cheers guys

vpulsar

how did you turn two hours work removing the engine into 4 then ?.

At that rate you should allow yourself a couple of days for refitting lol.

John

nimhbk

16 months actually johny boy
i wish 2 hours lol
as stated in my other post i have a new toy now so gtir will take a back burner and the pk ripper will be getting sorted

Smo

Well done mate - it's so satisfying when you fire it up after a load of work like that.