F.A.O. GORDON KAY/POWERSTATION BUMPSTEER KIT OWNERS

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
For those of you with the above bumpsteer kit installed.

As you might know there's an issue with the durabilty of the spherical bearing supplied in these kits. I know there are some of you that have gone through several pairs of replacments bearings but the problem is that after market rod end bearings are a servicable part and because of this will always need to be replaced at some point but it would be nice that the bearing last a little longer than 6 months, even a year would be good.

The problem is that 99% of true motorsport bearings are made to imperial specifications and only a few metric sizes are available, guess which we need.

There were investigations going on to try and find a sutable bearing, a company was found that could supply a stronger more durable bearing but the bearing in question was manufactured in Germany and made in quite small quantites so there was a supply problem. Basically they have been on back order for about 4 months. I got a call from the supplier this afternoon telling me there now in stock.

Initionaly he gave me a price of £40.83 + vat each, then £30.09 + vat each but if I was to order 10 pairs he would do them for £28.59 + vat each (£67.18 inc vat for the pair).

So you have 2 choices, loose the bumpsteer kit and replace with factory items, with this you get your bumpsteer back and can start going striaght on at roundabouts again or replace your worn or soon to be worn rod end bearing for the above.

Do I have 10 takers or should I just order another pair for myself.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND THIS IS JUST THE BEARING PART OF THE KIT, SO THIS ONLY APPLIES TO THOSE OF YOU WHO ALREADY HAVE ONE OF THE ABOVE KITS.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
JUST TO LET PEOPLE KNOW WHO'S PAID UP

stevepudney
AshBhp = PAID
Dooie Pop Pop = PAID
Jobi Joba = PAID
COXIE = DROPPED OUT
Dooie Pop Pop = PAID
kieron
vpulsar
sunongti-r = PAID
Boooooost = PAID
Zia = PAID

Jobi Joba

Vpulsar: I thought the boot was supposed to make a big improvement in durability? Isn't it enough?

Steve:errr...they can ship to France? (sorry,usual question but hey...seems I'm one of the only guy in France running a R so much tuned so I'm kinda alone...)

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Jobi, you must understand that theserod ends are a servicable item and will need replacing more often than the factory items. The upside is that with them fitted corectly the cars handling and steering responce is transformed.

Jobi Joba

stevepudney said:
Jobi, you must understand that theserod ends are a servicable item and will need replacing more often than the factory items. The upside is that with them fitted corectly the cars handling and steering responce is transformed.
I know,and it's not really a problem for me...

But I was just wondering if the boot helped the rose joint to last any longer...and if u think uprated rose joints AND boot,could help to have a decent durability...let's say 12,000 miles.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
There is no way of telling weather these particular rod ends will last 12,000 miles but the ones supplied in the Powerstation kits and the Gordon Kay kit were lasting anywhere between 3000 - 6000 miles and the quality of these new bearings is significantly better so I have no dought's they will last alot longer.
The question of the rubber boots is debatable as the boots themselves have 3 holes in them and they are not a tight fit, so without some way of sealing them off from the elements I don't see them making a lot of difference. Some people in the past (me included) have stuffed the boot full of grease to try and keep the crap out but this hasn't seemed to extend the life of the bearing in fact the grease might have done the opposite and weakened the PTFE liner inside the bearing itself :cry: and that might have contributed to there early demise. The suppliers of these bearings said they are made to be self cleaning and should be fine with out any protection but if you can seal them off then all the better.

Personally I will be using these bearings and be buying a set of new boots and some top hat sealing washer thingies that are available from Demon Tweeks.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
OK, I just got off the phone to my supplier and have confirmed a better price. So once I have 9 people wanting a pair of the bearings I will send the people concerned a PM with my name and address to send a cheque to, once all the cheques have been recieved I will then issue a cheque to my supplier to pay for all 10 sets.

Total amount will be £72, this includes all VAT and postage costs to send them out to you. JOBI YOU WILL HAVE TO INCLUDE £3 EXTRA POSTAGE.

And payment will have to to recieved via cheque not PayPal.

SunOnGTiR

Hello SteveP,
Just a quick question,these bearings are definitely better than the the bearings in the bumpsteer kit?
Because when i had the P.S. bumpsteer kit,it lasted about a year/3-4000 miles?
PLUS,I had to change to a pair of original track end rods BECAUSE there was too much 'play' SO the R couldn't pass the MOT.
I still have the P.S.'bump steer' kit in my boot.
The bearings can be replaced on this kit,yes?
If,yes then put my name down,please.
PM your details,thanks :wink:

Jobi Joba

can be interested.Only depends now on the approx delivery date?(as I was supposed to fit my std rose joints within 2 weeks)

00sid

i have a set of these bearings on my car, and they much better then the ones supplied with the above kits, they have only been on the car for acouple of mouths so i cant say how long they are going to last. the rubber seals are a tight fit as i had alot of fun trying to get them over the bearings.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
sunongti-r said:
Hello SteveP,
Just a quick question,these bearings are definitely better than the the bearings in the bumpsteer kit?
Because when i had the P.S. bumpsteer kit,it lasted about a year/3-4000 miles?
PLUS,I had to change to a pair of original track end rods BECAUSE there was too much 'play' SO the R couldn't pass the MOT.
I still have the P.S.'bump steer' kit in my boot.
The bearings can be replaced on this kit,yes?
If,yes then put my name down,please.
PM your details,thanks :wink:
Yes :wink:

and just to let you know these bearings are reserved at the suppliers and are ready for dispatch.

G

GTiRsalter

Damn, I knew i should not have thrown my powerstation ones away after they were worn right out!!!

Seamed pointless keeping the crapy piece of turned metal so they went in the bin in a pissed off rage :evil: .

If they had said they only last 3,000 miles I would not have bothered in the first place!!!

Will stick to the standard jobs :( and understeer city!!!

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Jobi - Read the original post !!! Cheques only. I need to be able to pay the money into my bank account so I can issue a cheque for the full amount.

Jobi Joba

stevepudney said:
Jobi - Read the original post !!! Cheques only. I need to be able to pay the money into my bank account so I can issue a a cheque for the full amount.
I live in France...so my cheques are labeled in euros. Can do a euro cheque if u want...But paypal is as fast as the cheque as the money is transfered to ur bank account too...

Dooie Pop Pop

my boots were a tight fit too. i left the grease out on mine and they are fine so far (touch' s wood) i must have had em on for at least 8 months now.

matty gtir has a set on his with no boots and no grease, christ knows how long they' ve been on there, its been quite a while (yrs)