first car

turbo_boost

i got a little problem ive just passed my drving test :roll: and as much as i love the gtir :shock: i know i can not get insurance on it andd i definatly cant afford to run it on a students budget. :( :(

so i need to buy a car that i can insure cheaply and that wont make me look like a complete fool my budget is around £7000

also any good insurance compaies that wont rape me on insurance

so could you please recommend anything and i am not into chaved up max poo cars :lol:

regards moe

G

gdm1984

what about a starlet turbo? not quite the gtir but for 7k u will get a nice one, pay the years insurance and have change! I dont know much about them but they are a turbo, quick and cheap insurance, something different too! Anyway, good luck with your search mate!

J

Jonny H

gdm1984 said:
what about a starlet turbo? not quite the gtir but for 7k u will get a nice one, pay the years insurance and have change! I dont know much about them but they are a turbo, quick and cheap insurance, something different too! Anyway, good luck with your search mate!
My missus has got a Starlet GT....fun little cars! 8) The insurance is very low for what they are BUT companies are apparently changing these to an over 21's policy now so be aware of that! :shock:

Fire & skill

Vintage member
what about an ignis sport?

1.5 vvt 109bhp, complete with recaros, alloys, bodykit etc. and im sure suzuki won their class in the rally this year in the ignis :?

but i think they are cool!! 8)

you can pick them up for £5k and up

my local suzuki dealer has an ex demo one with 500 miles on it for £5995. only 3 months old

abyss

if your 18 then forget about a turbo car unless you have unlimited amounts to pay for insurance. Get yourself something to start off with a 1.2,1.4 start off and get some experience under your belt first then move up to an R. One thing i have seen from mates mates brother is never give a 17/18 keys to a high powered car as they are basically to young in the head to drive them properly.

6Miester

Agreed with what they all said^^^^^

Whatever you buy is very likely to get damaged in the first year or so.
Buy something crap that you can replace without going through the insurance!

And any kind of powerful/ish car is stupid for a first driver, insurance is high for a good reason!!

Dooie Pop Pop

buy a 1.0 fester, stick some weird devil horn type spoiler things on it, slap on a pulsar vent and some wanker lights........sorted! :wink:

or buy a metro like me :D

D

DOT2DOT

With £7000 you could get a cheap as chips diesel with a tow-bar. A car trailer. And a gtir track car with enough £££ left over for a few goodies! :D

ram5ay

turbo_boost said:
so i need to buy a car that i can insure cheaply and that wont make me look like a complete fool my budget is around £7000

Honda civic hatchback, ideal wee car. You will pick up something like a 1.5 Lsi for under a grand, nice to drive, nippy enough for a first motor and should be reliable as hell (they look sweet slammed with a nice set of rims as well). Keep the other £6k untill you've got a couple of years no claims under your belt and then buy a minted R.
:wink:

marcymarc

ram5ay said:
turbo_boost said:

Honda civic hatchback, ideal wee car. You will pick up something like a 1.5 Lsi for under a grand, nice to drive, nippy enough for a first motor and should be reliable as hell (they look sweet slammed with a nice set of rims as well). Keep the other £6k untill you've got a couple of years no claims under your belt and then buy a minted R.

I agree with everything ram5ay said except for the slamming bit :lol:

N

nissanlee19

im not long passed my test and i was thinking about a reanult 5 turbo and the insurance wasnt too bad to be honest but i settled for a sunny i loved that car and the insurance was a bit dearer than the r5 i now sold the sunny coz was quite dear to run and drive a kitted astra mk3 until i have enough dosh for the ral thing(pulsar) lol.

definatley dont go for a corsa or saxo lol too many of them now :lol:

M

macphegf

ram5ay said:
turbo_boost said:

The guys right! I use a 1.5Lsi as my every day car and it's pretty good. Quick enough when you rev it high and very reliable, also looks good standard. Cost me £500!! Keep the rest of the money to buy a pulsar in a couple of years, but whatever you do, DON'T spend it modifying the civic!!

turbo_boost

right thanks for the suggestions im actually 17 and no im not going to buy a turbo car because i cant afford to run it and im not into maxpower cars if i was it would be a easy job buy a saxo for £3 grand and spend 4 kitting it up but not into them cars..

keep the suggestiosn coming

B

bex

for my first car im getting a crx

insurance is the same as a starlet

but the crx is cheaper to buy at the beggining

faster than the starlet

and cheaper to fix if anything goes wrong!

also you could get a minter for that money and mod the engine to silly power :) ;)