First dyno run today!

olliecast

UPDATE!!
Guys, gals, finally got me finger out and setup up my evc 4 at the weekend (by letting it learn!!) and although it does hold a bar better than before its still not holding over 5k`ish. is it worth just taking off the turbo and investigating the wastegate housing (i can get it braze repaired at work then cracktested) or shall i replace the actuator first?

cheers in advance, ollie

Jon Olds

Ive just had a similar symptom, where my profec B holds 1 bar nicely from 3.5 to 5000, then it linearly drops off to 0.7bar at 7000, also on the rollers.
Mines got a 34mm inlet restrictor to the turbo, as its a rally car.

Is it worth investigating further? Its std ish except a front mount.

(I'm a bit new to tuning turbo'ed cars)

geoff pine

I ran the 1bar loop for a couple of years and never payed much notice of the boost gauge as i had seen it reach 1 bar .When i when to the yearly rolling road for the first time it made 209 bhp at the wheel which to me seamed low. On the drive back to the wirral i watched the boost gauge more closely and noticed that it was sitting bwtween .8/.9 bar.The wastegate and the penny had hair line cracks in them change the turbo car hit 1bar and stayed there on the gauge.

olliecast

its definately worth investigating mate as you not using all of the power the car is capeable of.

assuming from the sound of it, it seems like it may be these hairline cracks as described earlier, where can i get the gaskets etc from in order to get the turbo off and get the exhaust side repaired?

is it worth getting a rebuilt kit and replacing the worn items while i`m at it?
cheers ollie

olliecast

is it worth rebuilding then while its out? it smokes a tiny bit when on full boost (you can only see it when another car is behind with its headlights on)

Jon Olds

these hairline cracks

I'm starting to get a bit paranoid thinking about these hairline cracks.
And no, the wife is out on her xmas party...
Seriously, is it worth stripping the turbo off for a look see?. If i find them is it another turbo thats needed?

olliecast

just an update on the boost tailing off, i`ve re plumbed all my tubo pipework and its now holding boost to redline and not bleeding off at all. found all the boost pipework wasn`t installed properly!
Think its time for a trip to the dyno place again!!