god damned water pipes !

A

Anonymous

fitted a new turbo on my r about a month ago now, 2 days later i was driving through a 30 zone (not thrashing) the thing over heated and started pissing water out underneath. i shit myself and got the car taken to a rolling road garage near to me where i was told it was a water pipe on the back of the engine that was shagged, £940 labour to fit it. they said the engine had to be removed, has anyone else had this problem ?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Where are you. I'm sure Mike (ex-gtir) could do it alot cheaper than that. :shock: or Olly :wink:

A

Anonymous

i'm in east yorks, the place the cars at is other side of york. i still havn't got it back yet, it's bin 3 weeks now. :cry: i phoned em today i got to pick it up on tues, i miss it. :)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
You mean you've alreay got them to fit it for £940? :shock:
Just hope mine doesn't go, cos I'm not too far from York either. :cry:

GINGA

£940 labour to fit it. they said the engine had to be removed, has anyone else had this problem ?
Thats Bullsh*t basically :evil: at most they might have to remove the inlet manifold though think with the downpipe,oil filter and Y bracket removed can't see why they would have any trouble replacing any of the pipes on the back of the engine mornings work at most :x

S

Sirnixalot

Ginga...you cant physically remove the intake manifold from the head with the engine in the car. Ive got small hands and its impossible to get to the under side bolts/nuts for it as well as the intake manifold support brackets.

That is an engine out or head off job (the head cant be taken off with th engine in situe unless you dont have the intake manifold support brakets unbolted or removed) that is of course my findings and opinion you may be super mechanic or sumn
lol

GINGA

I removed and refitted my inlet manifold with the engine in my car :wink: aswell as removing/refitting the head :wink: and i've got fat hands :D
I don't think you'd have to remove the inlet manifold anyway just move the Y bracket out of the way really then you've got access to pretty much the whole of the rear of the engine 8)

skiddusmarkus

£940 to remove the engine :shock: ?Phone them first thing tomorrow and tell them to stop.It should be £400 max to remove and refit an engine.Hiteq charge £240+vat to do a clutch and drop the engine IIRC.They're having your pants down and no lube(not even a bit of spit)if that's all they are doing.I think they have got Nissans book times from somewhere as they list that job at about 16 hours(which is bollox).
Mike(exgtir)managed to reattach one of the water pipes on mine under the inlet manifold whilst the engine was in.God knows how but he was cursing me cos I didn't tighten it up when the block was out :oops: .It probably took him about 30 minutes tops.

ex-gtir

skiddusmarkus said:
Mike(exgtir)managed to reattach one of the water pipes on mine under the inlet manifold whilst the engine was in.God knows how but he was cursing me cos I didn't tighten it up when the block was out :oops: .It probably took him about 30 minutes tops.
still aint forgiven you for that one :wink:
really this company need there arse kicking as that is a blatent ripe off please name and shame them id charge a maximum of 250 to completely remove the engine but no water hose on back of engine requires the removal at all please dont pay that sort of money tell them to contact me and ill tell them the error of their ways :evil:
mike

skiddusmarkus

Ginga-you're either double jointed or have some fancy tools :lol: .It's hard enough to get the inlet manifod back on with the engine out of the car as the nuts/bolts on the bottom are really tricky to get to.

GINGA

Ginga-you're either double jointed or have some fancy tools .It's hard enough to get the inlet manifod back on with the engine out of the car as the nuts/bolts on the bottom are really tricky to get to.
Thats why you undo and remove them from the top :wink: all you need is a rachet spanner (halfords) and a magnet the nuts aren't actually magnetic though but the washers are and when you refit it you do it with steel nuts :wink:

O

Odin

yeah i'v taken the inlet manifold and head off with the engine in :cry:
and also the gearbox :lol:

Sweeny

I've just had these pipes replaced yesterday. :lol:

But the engine was already out to do the box and clutch, but it looks pretty hard to do it with the engine in, as they are right at the back, and its hard to tell which ones which.

James.

A

Anonymous

Sirnixalot said:
Ginga...you cant physically remove the intake manifold from the head with the engine in the car. Ive got small hands and its impossible to get to the under side bolts/nuts for it as well as the intake manifold support brackets.
Not true i took the intake manifold plus throttle bodies off the car with the engine still in there, fiddly but its do-able, and i've got average sized hands

Gino

gtir303

if its the 2 main water pipes under the inlet manifold u dont have to remove anything apart from the down pipe i know ive done it end of last year .let me know if u get suck again .only thing with mine is ,ive got to do my oil cooler water hoses now when they turn from nissan ,as they went sunday after a hard night at southend

gtir303

if its the 2 main water pipes under the inlet manifold u dont have to remove anything apart from the down pipe i know ive done it end of last year .let me know if u get suck again .only thing with mine is ,ive got to do my oil cooler water hoses now when they turn from nissan ,as they went sunday after a hard night at southend

B

BOYYYDY

I have to say that i had the same thing a year back. the metal push in pipe(yeah, push in!) which goes int the block(The main inlet for the water pump) started leaking. the engine had to come out, there was no way of getting to it. then came the 6 weeks waiting for parts from japan(i replaced all the hoses at the back, including the metal pipe) it ended up with 18 hours worth of labour and all the parts. i can sort of understand the price you've been quoted but it still seems expensive, i paid 500 for the 18 hours labour. all of the bits i got cheap through work. i did question nissans wisdom of putting a metal pipe with an interferance fitting into the block, its asking for trouble isnt it??!! :?