Grounding kits

KF79GTIR

I have been thinking of getting one of these myself, reaplacing any old factory cabels has to be an improvement & if you can organise a group buy that will be even better.

Jonesy

Thats what i was thinking, seen them on ebay and the guy has good feedback. Also says he can organise discount for group buys. Would anyone be interested aslong as its ok with the mods anyway. See how many people are interested first.

D

deslynam

You really don't need to use the poncy audio-style cable that he's used, but the idea has some sound principles.

Jonesy

I suppose i could just make my own, a normal bit of wire would do the same job and just clean all the surfaces up.

youngsyp

Jonesy said:
I suppose i could just make my own, a normal bit of wire would do the same job and just clean all the surfaces up.
Cleaning the original earthing points, and covering them with Waxoyl or similar should be the first thing you do, before installing any earth bonding cables.

As for the kit itself, you could probably get away with 30 amp cable for the most part !

stumo

30amp cable? WTF

You're best cleaning up all the connections first and seeing what the results are with a multimeter.

If you do need a "grounding kit" then virtually any wire would do as you're only talking about milliamps not amps.

youngsyp

stumo said:
30amp cable? WTF
The thicker the cable, the lower the resistance which, is what your actually trying to improve one. Electrons flow over the surface of a cable so, the higher the surface area, the lower the electrical resistance will be. And 30 amp cable, isn't very heavy duty. It's maybe 16 AWG, about as thick as the mid sized cable under the bonnet and certainly nowhere near as thick as the alternator, starter motor or main earth cable !

stumo said:
You're best cleaning up all the connections first and seeing what the results are with a multimeter.
Yep, we've been through that !

stumo said:
If you do need a "grounding kit" then virtually any wire would do as you're only talking about milliamps not amps.
As above, it's the resistance between the component and battery you're trying to improve on.

stumo

So why not just use massive wires....the earth will spin smoother and your car will make 400 more HP....

All you're trying to do is to create a level playing field where the difference in voltage between the various earthing points around the engine will be in millivolts not volts, the current will be negligible. you don't need a big wire for that amount of current.

youngsyp

stumo said:
So why not just use massive wires....the earth will spin smoother and your car will make 400 more HP....
Didn't take long did it.... Can you ever post a reply without something idiotic and worthless in it ?

And there's no need to use 'massive' wires as, we're only talking about 14.4 volts, and fairly low current !

stumo said:
All you're trying to do is to create a level playing field where the difference in voltage between the various earthing points around the engine will be in millivolts not volts, the current will be negligible. you don't need a big wire for that amount of current.
Actually, you're trying to drop the voltage difference to 0 volts. Millivolts will still cause issues. Although, of course with the age of all the cables on the GTiR, that will be nigh on impossible. So, ultimately, the least resistance between the electrical components and the battery, the better !

stumo

Didn't take long did it.... Can you ever post a reply without something idiotic and worthless in it ?
no, it makes the world go round.......just like putting huge wires on your car.

And there's no need to use 'massive' wires as, we're only talking about 14.4 volts, and fairly low current !
exactly, so why use something that will be able to handle 30 amps when a wire capable of 5 amps would be suitable?

youngsyp

stumo said:
no, it makes the world go round.......just like putting huge wires on your car.
Nope, it's the Earths core and magnetic forces that make the world go round ! ;-)

And I don't think 30amp cables are 'huge' ?!

stumo said:
exactly, so why use something that will be able to handle 30 amps when a wire capable of 5 amps would be suitable?
Once again, because the thicker cable presents a lower electrical resistance. Exactly what you're trying to achieve by reinforcing the earth bonding. And 30 amps isn't exactly high current, is it ?!

Last edited:
O

Odin

I've got a spare grounding kit with gold connectors if anybody is interested.

Rob

stumo

Once again, because the thicker cable presents a lower electrical resistance. Exactly what you're trying to achieve by reinforcing the earth bonding. And 30 amps isn't exactly high current, is it ?!
So if there's a potential difference of millivolts between two earthing points ( for instance one on the plenum and the MAF) do you really think that using a 30A wire will make any more of a difference than a 5A wire?

Don't forget, we're talking about a PD of millivolts.

30A current is quite big on a car, it's certainly capable of melting smaller wires and flattening your battery pretty quickly. Have a look at your fuses, how many are rated at 30A or higher? not many....

Last edited:

youngsyp

stumo said:
So if there's a potential difference of millivolts between two earthing points ( for instance one on the plenum and the MAF) do you really think that using a 30A wire will make any more of a difference than a 5A wire?
Of course not. But, we're not just talking about the lower current draw components, we're also including the alternator, starter motor and lights etc...

stumo said:
30A current is quite big on a car, it's certainly capable of melting smaller wires and flattening your battery pretty quickly. Have a look at your fuses, how many are rated at 30A or higher? not many....
a 5amp current could also melt lower rated cables, and drain the small GTiR battery fairly quickly ?!
Again, I'm not saying that the cable will need to carry 30 amps, in all cases, just that some components you will be reinforcing, will !