Grounding kits

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
:fight1: :popcorn:

Stu you dumb ass :lol: :lol: , 2.5mm2 (I don't like the AWG system) cable is rated to 30 Amps in free space. In fairness, Paul should have specified a cable size in the first post rather than a current but I just fancied calling you a dumb ass :lol:

I used it to earth my engine but you probably haven't noticed because 2.5mm2 is small. You just need the new cables to have a lower resistance than the existing earths cables

To the OP, I made my own and the cable and lugs cost under £15 from which you could make 10 kits. Going for 2mm2 might have worked but for the sake of an extra couple of quid I went with the "bigger" size as I know it definately will.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Not especially batty boy (not even sure what a batty boy is)

When you install the earths in parallel to the existing cable you need it to have a lower resistance than the existing cable otherwise you will start creating earth loops. With one earth cable sufficiently bigger than the other, most of the current will then flow down the bigger cable. 2.5mm2 is significantly bigger than the existing cables and IMO all the earth bonding kits are bling overkill.

If you are replacing the existing cable then 2.5mm2 is overkill and 0.25 or 0.5mm2 would do for most of the jobs.

When I checked my potential differences, I found the biggest improvements were made from improving the existing connections, I did the earth bonding when I had the problem with my dizzy and PFC, so I earthed everything again just to be sure. It wasn't the problem and I might take the "kit" off again now my engine is out.

Jonesy

Think i'll just clean up all the earths first and check them with a meter and take it from there. Cheers for the info anyways.