help....car won't fire up :(

J

John Mc

Hello Mate,

Did you try a known good battery or just use jump leads?

I saw a problem like this on a different car, it wouldn't fire up with jump leads as the battery on the car was fried, one of the cells was dead. Changed the battery for a new one and it solved the problem!

Sounds like you're having a mare. To check if the cable has a break in it, use a continuity tester at either end of the cable to see if you get continuity. If that's ok then try wiggling or pulling the cable about, and see if this has any effect? The cable could be breaking down when a current runs through it. Can you run a new cable where the ignition live goes from and to?

Sorry if you've tried this mate

Regards

John

Mr GTiR

John

We used jump leads to the battery. However the night before i trickled charged the battery.

I think it's time to start testing every wire :cry:

E

Edd

Andy is there any way you can rewire the coil to take a different live feed? basically bypassing the std wires?
I dont mind if you have to butcher my coil up to do it :roll: :twisted:

Just thought if your getting a voltage drop be interesting if you can bypass the wiring with new wiring??

or am i talking s5it :?: :lol:

J

J-GTi-R

This does sound like a bad earth problem to me. As you have the manuals, have you gone through all the earthing points and cleaned them up? You may have to replace earth straps as well, so if you can, check the continuity of of all the earth straps and cables.

I had this problem on a previous car, it took me ages to find the bad earth, but I did eventually and there was no further problems.

A

AZ STE

Andy,
Another two things to try .Dissconnect your battery for 30 sec then reboot it. Get a jump lead and go from the -ve terminal on the battery and crock clip it directly on the engine /gearbox some where then try to start.

B

Brett G

How about bypassing the switched live straight to the battery just for a test to see if it fires up?
Have you tried bump starting it with a few friends? Your starter motor could be faulty and drawing to much current or something, mind you the voltage of the constant feed is still ok under cranking so :?: :?: :roll: maybe not???

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I've found a few batteries in the past have died after trickle charging.

Can you try your coil on another car, preferably try your ecu first too.

I'd guess you either have a duff coil or it's not getting the right signal, or the power transistor is dead.

If you haven't already , I'd be tempted to try as many parts as you can on another Gtir to prove them ok or not.

Have you gone through the ignition signal diagnostic procedure on page EF & EC 480 in Vol1 of the manual? (it also shows you how to check the coil and power amp)

zia

andy do you have live at coil black wire with ign on? the switch wire is yellow and green yes? in that circuit there will be resistor either in the amp or in the loom? what you want to do is remove all wire covering between amp and coil trace the switch wire between these two problem i think lies in the wiring or connectors check connection spades are correct gapped. are you getting live to amp from ecu?

zia

J

John Mc

Mr GTiR said:
John

We used jump leads to the battery. However the night before i trickled charged the battery.

I think it's time to start testing every wire :cry:
Andy,

If the battery is dead trickle charging won't help. When I saw this problem before, when connected with jump leads to another car, all the electrics would work but when I tried turning it over nothing. A new battery or known good one on your car needs to be tried! Then start looking for bad earths, you'll be gutted if you've spent all that time trying other things when it could be the battery. If it isn't then at least you've completely ruled the battery out! Hope this helps :D

Regards

John

Mr GTiR

After a very very long week/night we have found a break in the loom and by passed it so there is a spark now :D

BUT the car won't start :evil: Might be cause we have flooded the engine so will try again tonight.......

I was also told to put two drops of oil down the cylinder and try to crank it that way as it will spin freely. I'm sure there is petrol on the spark plug as when you take them out you can smell it!

I think it's the oil that is stopping it from starting. Anyone know how to get rid of this dam oil considering i have gapless rings :? ??

A

AZ STE

Leave your plugs out for a while(all day) then
You could try warming the plugs then put them in. Then fire some damp start at your air filter as you turn it over.If your sparks good should fire up.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Mr GTiR said:
I think it's the oil that is stopping it from starting. Anyone know how to get rid of this dam oil considering i have gapless rings :? ??
It'll burn off when you get her started. :wink: ( 2 drops isn't much) Taking all the plugs out will let it spin more freely, but you don't want the injectors working if you do that. Clean them up while they're out, check the gaps are ok too.

Now it's sparking have you done the ecu check again to see if it's cleared?

Mr GTiR

still won't start think the whole loom has to be stripped and checked FUCK!

looks like the injectors are not firing now. will i ever get it running again?

turblio

Walk away from it for a few of days then go back to it with a couple of mates (or nissan technicians) and start from the ignition key forwards
but dont let it beat you cos when you do hear it fire up its got to be worth it Andy
Frank

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Mr GTiR said:
looks like the injectors are not firing now.
Were they firing before? If not, you had no spark or ignition, so go check the eccs relay is working and the ecu. :?

Mr GTiR

eg6-b18c6 said:
when i had this problem my dizzy and gearbox plugs were the wrong way round. even though they seemed to fit better the wrong way round.

i dont know if the 4wd plug is the same as the 2wd (as mine is 2wd) but it might be worth checking.
yep this was the cause of the problem, turns out this is quite a common fuck up made by people :shock: :oops: