help me please!

gtir_pimp

i just had a new turbo bolted on my R 1000miles ago and today i was driving along at about 5000rpm and engine seemed to struggle a bit after till i reached 6000rpm and engine made a bang and sounded like something was being dragged along the road like the exhaust. It bogged out on me untill i came to a holt. Car will not start, will not even turn over like the starter motor is stuck but its not. under the bonnet the coolant bottle where you poor anti-freeze in was bubbling over and after 10 mins it went back down. the car never pulled the same after i had the new turbo on, even though its exactly the same and was brand new. it was like the boost was turned down and when it got to 5000rpm every time i had to change gear coz it struggled!
what the hell is wrong, please help, any info at all is much appreciated, thanks

gtir_pimp

yes but dont think it was the turbo, no smoke whatsoever and hardly any play when checked before it was fitted

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47308

Bit of a long shot, but worth checking.

It might be worth looking at the starter motor, also alternator.

Take the inlet off the turbo and check for play. Where did you get it from? (private or company)

Also check the boost hoses as they can blow off with a bang, but wouldn't sound like anything being dragged along the floor, or stop the engine turning over.

P

pulsarboby

i reckon you have either blown the head gasket across the bore to waterway, which will fill the cylinder up with water, and water will not compress, hense the jammed engine!
or
the engine has actually seized, which could mean you have spun a shell and jammed the crank! (noise being engine grinding)

remove all 4 spark plugs and then try turning the engine over, if a load of water shoots out one of the plug holes, then youll know whats happened! (h/g or warped-cracked cylinder head)

if it still doesnt turn over...
get a spanner on the crank pulley bolt and try turning it over from there, if you can turn it relatively freely.
the fault will then lie either with your starter motor, battery or wiring

gtir_pimp

thanks for the responses, ive taken the rocker cover off to look inside the head and thats fine, also took the spark plugs out and pistons seem to be ok with no water there. the turbo was from another pulsar that was breaking, but my mechanic checked it for play etc and all was good. my mechanic tried to turn the engine over with a spanner but it was stuck/seized/ wouldnt budge for shite! with all this being checked should the problem hoopefully just be the starter motor?i have a spare one! Would the engine turn over manually if i have spun a shell and jammed the crank even just a little movement?
And the head gasket is a HKS 2.0mm steel one which should be ok! will investigate further tommorrow, thanks again for all the feedback, if you have any other ideas please let me know

stumo

if the engine won't turn over (when your mechanic checked it) i guess it's possibly seized.

also, why say the turbo was brand new when it clearly isn't and came off another R?

what else aren't you telling us? If you don't tell everything you won't get to the cause.

P

pulsarboby

surely if your mechanic mate couldnt turn the engine over with a spanner, then he must of told you the problem is terminal:roll: is he a mechanic, or a mechanic wannabe?

you have spun a shell me ol mate, and your bottom end will be fcuked with a capital f;-)

gtir_pimp

sorry meant to say the turbos condition was like brand new! also in my first thread it sais its done 1000 miles which is a typing mistake and only done 100! will have a look at turbo too tommorrow. it was changed as the other one went when it was on the car and did blow some crap aound the intercooler but was all cleaned out and the head was checked for bits of turbo and was fine. And car has been driven for a bit without any problems when the turbo was changed.
Dont know if this makes a difference but the car had been sat for about 7 months
it seemed like the engine was seized but could the starter motor really make it that hard to turn over? also how could the alternator affect this?

Jonesy

If its been sitting for 7 months could he not try a bit wd 40 down the bores to free it off, providing the engine isn't fooked.

gtir_pimp

he int a wannabe! he only had a quick look after work on my drive and said it might be the starter motor or bottom end after he took the rocker cover off. hope its only something simple like freeing it up with wd40 or changing the starter motor. is there any chance it could be these as it was very hard to turn it over! im a plumber not a mechanic so can only go by what people tell me, thats why i post threads on here for your opinions and help. And just coz im a plumber doesnt mean i got loads of dosh to sort it out. im only 20 and just got a mortgage!!

gtir_pimp

fastguy i clicked on the link and i cant access it, keeps popping up with. . .

gtir_pimp, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
Is there another way i can look at this?

gtir_pimp

he tried it on the bolt and i trie the ignition loads of times. the bolt on the drivers side behind the front wheel isnt it?! when i trie turning the key it was like the battery was low but i only just got a new one yesterday

P

pulsarboby

spun shell, jammed crank!
engine out job im afraid.
the noise you were hearing was the engine grinding and beginning to seize.
will take bets on it being no 3 bearing aswell.

not a cheap fix either, welcome to gtir world

PulsarTom

ahh bummer m8, hope its not too costly for ya!! im a sparks(app) and im nineteen, for some reason everyone thinks im minted aswell!! lol o well if only they knew how skint i actaully am! lol