help me please!

gtir_pimp

how much are we talking? hours labour, parts? coz my mates the mechanic who will be doing the job, the labour will be lower than usual so that helps me alot,but still annoyed this has happened not long after the turbo was changed!

P

pulsarboby

its just one of those unfortunate things matey.

if he has never removed one of these engines before, then your looking at a day to get it out and remove the sump to see what the damage is.

then the gearbox will have to be removed, along with the clutch assembly and flywheel.

rear main oilseal cover will need unbolting.

no need to remove the head (just spark plugs)

remove front crank pulley (do this first before you remove anything else, as the other belts and compression of engine will hold engine firmer and stop it from turning, as this bolt is tight, tight) all oil surge plates, oil pump and housing and oil strainer.

remove all bigend bearing caps (damage will then become apparent) make sure they are all marked, as there mated to each individual rod.

remove main bearing caps (once again keep in order as mated to block)
you will then be able to remove the crankshaft, and inspect for damage.

if you have the parts already (which you wont) you are looking at a good 3 days work before its running again.
normal garage @ £35ph = £840 plus all the parts

if crank is not too badly damaged you will need a crank grind which is around £20 a journal, so if you just have the bigend journals done it will set you back around a £100 incl vat
new bigend and main bearing shells around £150
gasket sealant,n a-freeze, consumables etc £40
engine, gearbox and transfer box oils around a £100

this gives you a grand total of around £1,250 and thats at my sort of prices, other garages charge double those labour costs , upwards!

if your mechanic mate knows what hes doing, then you obviously havent got those labour costs which will keep that bill a lot lower.
just make sure you run it in nice n easy untill those shells have bedded in properly, also get him to check the bearing caps for possible damage, if the shell has spun it can muller the conrod and bearing cap, in which case your cylinder head will also have to be removed to get piston and rod out.

good luck with it anyway fella!