How to launch and then 1 to 2 gear change

S

Sunnyboy368

Hello Guys,

I have recently got my GTIR on the road and so far i am still trying to learn how to launch her properly and also change from 1 to 2 without making the car judder.

My launches are crap so any helpful hints and adviuce will be very very welcome.

thanks guys

EZ

SUNNYBOY368

J

jpward

Ricky_GTi-R said:
rev to 5k then drop the clutch, mite get a bit wheelspin but gets a great launch 8)
And before you do place an order for a new cluch! :lol:

will save time later ;-)

J

jpward

OK best try do a rolling start if possible but if im intending to ahum move infront of someone at the lights i will get the car moving low revs and then do a 6k rev cluch dump

Works a treat and the clutch is spot on and you will only get to be able to change from 1st into 2nd quickly after time when i got my car it had only 45K Kms on it and was easy to miss the change but i will get vids on soon and its a lot quicker now ;-)

Fazz

Slightly easier on transmission if you have clutch on biting point with handbrake up, and then revs up, drop handbrake and release clutch and awayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy........

Some have the balls to side step the clutch but haven't managed this yet myself.....

Also, on launching, my helix organic tends to whiff a tad, which i searched somewhere is apparently normal, due to giving some relief or something i don't understand... no signs of failing anyway so if it ain't broken.....

J

jpward

Fazz said:
Slightly easier on transmission if you have clutch on biting point with handbrake up, and then revs up, drop handbrake and release clutch and awayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy........

Some have the balls to side step the clutch but haven't managed this yet myself.....

Also, on launching, my helix organic tends to whiff a tad, which i searched somewhere is apparently normal, due to giving some relief or something i don't understand... no signs of failing anyway so if it ain't broken.....
No offence Fazz mate but holding the biting point with any revs on will wear the friction plate if not burn it no wonder yours is wiffing :shock:

And handbrake!!! Leave the girlfriend at home LOL

Fazz

Ha!! MAybe your right!

I might look into that....!

On another note, what the hell is United Kingdom doing on your location??

Oh wait, maybe I''m outnumbered here..... :)

D

danmo

U need to bounce the revs, as in blipping the trottle so the revvs are jumping between about 2k and 6k, with the gap getting shorter as u blip the trottle quicker this will get the turbo spooling up for when u dump the clutch and u will launch with about 0.4 - 0.5 bar and at about 5k ish rpm instead of about 0.2 bar with just holding it at 5k ish rpm (theses boost figures are a guess, but have had mine reading about 0.45 bar ish on a launch with blipping the throttle)
Good luck, and order ur new clutch, if u have a standard one, i have a helix organic and can launch pretty well with it.

J

jpward

danmo said:
U need to bounce the revs, as in blipping the trottle so the revvs are jumping between about 2k and 6k, with the gap getting shorter as u blip the trottle quicker this will get the turbo spooling up for when u dump the clutch and u will launch with about 0.4 - 0.5 bar and at about 5k ish rpm instead of about 0.2 bar with just holding it at 5k ish rpm (theses boost figures are a guess, but have had mine reading about 0.45 bar ish on a launch with blipping the throttle)
Good luck, and order ur new clutch, if u have a standard one, i have a helix organic and can launch pretty well with it.
:lol: :lol: :lol: PMSL

Bearing in mind when you release the throttle your DV opens id say it was harder to maintain pressures by moving up and down the rev's and there wont be a lot of pressure until under load.

@ FAZZ YOU MUPPET

NI is in the UK you geographically challenged mong :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Fazz

jpward said:
@ FAZZ YOU MUPPET

NI is in the UK you geographicly challenged mong :p

My god, do u really think I didn't know that???

( maybe, just maybe I was referring to the point of putting uk Vs N. Ire on your location!!! thus outnumbered comment on the UK bit ...)

But now I'm just glad you have it!!

And its GEOGRAPHICALLY, not geographicly you Puppet!

You made your bed, now a bit of hush and sleep in it!

Back to thread, launching jus needs practise and whatever you feel is not too harsh on your transmission..!

Good luck with it!

J

jpward

Woops i stand corrected talking to americans way too much and chill mate its all the same Island we live on! dont go feeling left out LOL

J

jpward

Depends on your wheels and tyre combo and ambient air temps

I found 35 all round tobe good in winter with

195-50/15 toyo T1-R on OZ's

Do a search this has been coverd many times b4 ;-)

D

danmo

jpward - i didn't mean on the throttle then totally off the throttle, i meant to like feather it quickly - just hard to explain - but if u were any good u'd know what i mean!!!!
Am waiting for fast guy to back me up on this, as remember him agreeing with me a while ago about this and we all know that he's good at launching.

OZ-Racing

Sunnyboy368 said:
My launches are crap so any helpful hints and adviuce will be very very welcome.
Ask Dooie pop pop, he's the expert when it comes to launching ;-) :pound: :laugh:

MarkTurbo

danmo said:
jpward - i didn't mean on the throttle then totally off the throttle, i meant to like feather it quickly - just hard to explain - but if u were any good u'd know what i mean!!!!
Am waiting for fast guy to back me up on this, as remember him agreeing with me a while ago about this and we all know that he's good at launching.
I never bother pissing about with all that blipping the throttle business, just hold the revs steady at 6000 rpm and then let the clutch up :lol:

Dooie Pop Pop

MarkTurbo said:
I never bother pissing about with all that blipping the throttle business, just hold the revs steady at 6000 rpm and then let the clutch up :lol:
no:lol: when i watched you do it you just increased the revs till you got where you want and then let go...made it look so easy:cry:

Oz: you can **** yourself right up the **** mate;-) i dont need to launch to beat you. reverse gear will do;-) :p :lol: