IDLING @ 1500 RPM

N

nelly R

Just bought myself a R and is idling at 1500 rpm anybody got any ideas as i am new to the jap turbos. :? Cheers Chris

P

Pulsar666

I had the same sort of fault with my 1st R, basically i had an electrical fault with a wire from the ecu to the ignitor pack, i disconnected this from the ecu, when i plugged it back in my revs were always at 1300 - 1500 rpm.
I just thought it may need a fault clearing from the system or the basic settings reseting?

Im not saying it is that but maybe take it to Nissan and get them to quickly hook it up to the computer and have a look??

N

nelly R

ok thanks m8 i think taking it to nissan will be the easiest :)

zia

have you tried adjusting the air bypass screw? or checking timing? any vaccum leaks?

zia

S

S.J

i thought the "R" was supposed to automaticly sort the timing out .. that's what i got told by nissan cause mine idle's at about the same too.

or was it a case of "shit .. an import .. blag him!"

N

nelly R

The timing should be ok because it was fine before it was stood for 3 months. Could it be somthing to do with the afm, or idle valve stuck open :?: I hav'nt checked for vaccum leaks or anything yet but i will do this morning. :shock:

N

nelly R

Any body now where else i can take my car to have this problem diagnosed because nissan wont touch it. only problem is i live in south wales. :evil:

J

jiw

look for air leaks, this was my problem, i replaced all of the 13 year old rubber vaccum hoses and T pieces with new stuff :wink:

N

nelly R

I dont think it is a air leak because if i start it from cold as soon as the fast idle shuts off it idles on 1000rpm and then as soon as i go down the road its up on 1500rpm.

C

Crazy

Me too :oops:

But mine idles just under 1300RPM :evil:

Will have a look at the throttle cable, may be even try some WD40 to loosen it up :?

Any thing else I should be checking for :?: :?: :?:

I

Innovate Performance

You should be able to ajust the idle. We do it on the skylines with out any trouble and the manuels say you need the nissan diagnosic computer.
I will have a read of the maual and post back tomorrow,

I

Innovate Performance

You can adjust the idle in the following way.

Run the engine up to operating temp.
Switch the engine off
Disconect the idle valve connector
Start the engine and ajust the idle screw in the valve (you can only do 1/4 of a turn at a time) to desired engine speed.
Switch off engine and reconnect the conector.
Start engine should now be ok?

That's what i do and it all ways works.
Most of the nissan engine idle systems work in the same way.

I

Innovate Performance

Another thing to check is that the air regulator is closeing corectly.

See Pages EF & EC 525 OF the workshop manual.
Also Pages EF & EC 600 onwards of the workshop manual for diagnostic.

If you want i can copy the all pages and email them to people. would post them up but i dont know how to.

mohsan

idle

what should the gtir be idling on? should it be different depending on mods? my car also idles at 1500

J

Jamz

Mine sits between 900-1000 with no aircon (when the guage works :D )

I

Innovate Performance

Take the rpm reading from a timing light cause the dash gauge can be out by up to 800 rpm, thats the worst i have seen.