most power with short ratio box ?

N

newbie2

hi, just wondering how many people are running over 400bhp with a short ratio box ?
im soon looking at running around the 500bhp mark with a short ratio box.
its supposed to be a nismo box but there is no proof of this so it might go bang very soon, but until it does i could possibly have 1 of the most powerfull gtirs in the country WITH a short ratio box ????

GTiR_Mic

I don't think your box will last to long with that power claim to be honest but I could be wrong.

I have no Idea what the most power is with the Dakar box.

Mic

O

Odin

Their was a bloke a few years ago (name escapes me) who had the rally mission box (nismo) but it broke at 400 bhp, But if you just have the Nissan close ratio box then its no stronger than any other standard box, And it will be useless on car with that much power anyway. You will run out of gears very very quickly.

I had one in my old R and hated every thing about it.

Rob

oap-r

I love Rob xxx
Odin said:
Their was a bloke a few years ago (name escapes me) who had the rally mission box (nismo) but it broke at 400 bhp, But if you just have the Nissan close ratio box then its no stronger than any other standard box, And it will be useless on car with that much power anyway. You will run out of gears very very quickly.

Rob
Was it Phil Cavanaugh(sp)?

O

Odin

oap-r said:
Was it Phil Cavanaugh(sp)?

Yes that's the guy ;-) .

That was good for an old chap like you Bruce, I thought all your brain cells had died by now :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob

oap-r

I love Rob xxx
Odin said:
Yes that's the guy ;-) .

That was good for an old chap like you Bruce, I thought all your brain cells had died by now :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob
Remember Phil because he was a right laugh.Still amazes me how he managed to get "his" frame into that lickle Westfield at the pod 1 year

N

newbie2

Odin said:

Rob

yeah i dont like the close ratio box either but the accelleration is brutal :twisted:
when i got my car the previous owner didnt have 1 receipt for any of the work done so i was dubious about the engine internals.:?
now the engine has been opened it has exactly all the parts that were supposed to be in there, the only parts i can't prove are the nismo gearbox and nismo rear diff.
apart from drag racing i wouldn't want to be going over 130mph anyway, the box should get the car to high 11 sec 1/4 miles which is good enough for me:thumbsup:
the box has done 3000 miles so far with around 400bhp without a problem so fingers crossed .
so has anyone got over 400 bhp with a short ratio box ?

O

Odin

newbie2 said:
the box should get the car to high 11 sec 1/4 miles which is good enough for me
I know it feels quick mate, But its not as quick as you think because you can't get to 60mph in second gear, You will always need an extra gear change and will need 5th gear to cross the line when drag racing :doh: .

That an the fact I only used to get 90 miles to a full tank of fuel with mine, But as long as you are happy with it dude ;-) .

Rob

N

newbie2

if fast guy can do a 1/4 mile in around 12.5 secs with 250bhp and a close ratio box im sure i could get into 11s with 450bhp.
yeah ive also been told that overall that the close ratio box is no quicker over 1/4 mile but the in gear accelleration is stronger.
400-450bhp with a short ratio box is insane, you have to be quick with the gear changes but the in gear accelleration is brutal.
tbh im not too bothered about mpg as i only use the car once a week.
i really want a uprated standard ratio box but can't afford one.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Odin said:
I know it feels quick mate, But its not as quick as you think because you can't get to 60mph in second gear, You will always need an extra gear change and will need 5th gear to cross the line when drag racing :doh: .

Rob

It's quicker when it doesn't have your weight to haul around :nerner:

3.7 to 60 (in 3rd) on mine is pretty rapid, you just need to learn to slam those gears in fast.

But like I said before, unless you add cams to up the rpm at which max power is made and have a useable rev limit of 8500ish, then much over 400bhp and you'll be hitting the rev limit in 5th long before you get to the finish line and so be going slower than you should.
With 500bhp you should be able to get low11s, possibly even a high 10.

That gearbox should be quicker over the 1/4 as your in the power band 5 times not 4 like a normal box.

PS how can you afford 500bhp, but not an uprated box?:?

(My 12.4 was on about 260)

O

Odin

Fast Guy said:
3.7 to 60 (in 3rd) on mine is pretty rapid

Mine has recorded 0-60 in 3.4 seconds and 12.3 seconds for the 1/4 mile with only 311bhp and a Quaife gear set.

To get good times with the close ratio box you need to be very brutal with the gearbox, If someone gets a 10 second pass with one of these boxes I'll eat my hat :roll: , Even low 11's will be hard work unless you've got a 9000 rpm rev limit.

Rob

N

newbie2

i was under the impression i would only need a £400 remap to 1.8-2 bar to reach circa 500 bhp with my spec ??
obviously bigger brakes would be good.
but i dont have £2-3000 at the moment for a uprated gearbox.

Shaun

8) I've got a broken RB box in my garage and the guy i got it from said it was Phil's old Nismo box.He also said that Phil was running 400+bhp on it which would explain why 5th is completely destroyed :lol: .The rest of the box is absolutely mint,you could eat your dinner off it if you were that way inclined :lol: .

oap-r

I love Rob xxx
Shaun said:
8) I've got a broken RB box in my garage and the guy i got it from said it was Phil's old Nismo box.He also said that Phil was running 400+bhp on it which would explain why 5th is completely destroyed :lol: .The rest of the box is absolutely mint,you could eat your dinner off it if you were that way inclined :lol: .
Iirc,Phil was running about 404bhp plus he had 100bhp of NOS as well.

He trashed it in no time,sent it back for repair as it was warranted for 550bhp but i didn't know he'd broken it a 2nd time :shock:

N

newbie2

so even if i do have a genuine nismo box its not looking good :Cry:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Odin said:
Mine has recorded 0-60 in 3.4 seconds and 12.3 seconds for the 1/4 mile with only 311bhp and a Quaife gear set.

To get good times with the close ratio box you need to be very brutal with the gearbox, If someone gets a 10 second pass with one of these boxes I'll eat my hat :roll: , Even low 11's will be hard work unless you've got a 9000 rpm rev limit.

Rob

Was that on a normal box or the close ratio one?
Either way you, sorry Skiddus did have 50odd bhp more to go 0.1s faster :nerner:

Do you want tomato sauce with that hat?:thumbsup:

stu-gtir

I have Phil Cavanagh's old R and the Nismo Box did go pop at around 400 BHP, it was probably the 50 shot of nos that contributed to that tho. It all depends how you drive it. Mine has been through another 2 boxes since.

Stu.:-D

Last edited:

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
I'm sure Phil's car was 350bhp using a GT28 variation with 50bhp NOS giving it the 404bhp..

Rishi

stu-gtir

No Mate, i still have all the rolling road print outs, it was 404bhp without nos. It had a ND 196 turbo at the time.