most power with short ratio box ?

O

Odin

Fast Guy said:
Was that on a normal box or the close ratio one?
Either way you, sorry Skiddus did have 50odd bhp more to go 0.1s faster :
That was with my quaife box mate, Which has slightly closer ratio's 1st-4th and a standard ratio 5th, Simon got the fastest 1/4 mile time but I got the fastest 60ft time (1.6 seconds) and the 0-60 time myself :shock: , Even with my lardy ar5e behind the wheel.

Rob

O

Odin

Fast Guy said:
Yeah but you have the extra down force even when standing still compared to Simon:lol:

Defo better traction off the line that's for sure 8) :lol: , I've got a new mod going in this build that should help with traction as well ;-) .

Rob

oap-r

I love Rob xxx
Odin said:
Defo better traction off the line that's for sure 8) :lol: , I've got a new mod going in this build that should help with traction as well ;-) .

Rob
Is that something to do with ghosties(phantom ;-) ) by any chance :lol:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I'll be interested to see how it fairs, as I don't think we ever had any feed back form Ivan when he had his fitted.

How much are they these days?

O

Odin

Fast Guy said:
I'll be interested to see how it fairs, as I don't think we ever had any feed back form Ivan when he had his fitted.

How much are they these days?
It was £190 delivered but I went for the x-treme which isn't listed for the pulsar on their web site ;-) , It can take more abuse and still work even with 600+ bhp, Not that mine wii be that powerful :doh: :lol: .

It will be good to see how well it does ;-) .

Rob

gtirx2

I have just took a close box apart and i belive it is a nismo box and the only uprated looking cog in the box is the 3rd gear setup the rest are comparable to standed gears quality so i don't think it is much stronger than a standed box tbh,also intrestingly it has a higher ratio reverse, i wonder if the rb box has this?That thai guy on the mods site was also running a nismo box for a while and that R was running big power but he ended up striping second in the end.
The main pic in this thread is of the thai guys nismo box with stripped second when he was dragging it...
http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45309&highlight=nismo+box

MarkTurbo

newbie2 said:
so even if i do have a genuine nismo box its not looking good :Cry:
With 500 bhp i'd put money that box turning into a heap of broken metal the first time you try and launch it ;-)

A

a11ova

i've got a dakar box with a shot 4th gear if anyone wants it for a drink

N

newbie2

whats the cheapest i can get a uprated gearbox that will take 500 bhp ?

oap-r

I love Rob xxx
newbie2 said:
whats the cheapest i can get a uprated gearbox that will take 500 bhp ?
Gearboxes and clutches are rated in torque capacity rather than power capacity and the only reason we sometimes get gearboxes rated in bhp is most people can't get to grips with the difference between power and torque.

It all depends what you are going to use the car for.You can get a quaife synchro gearbox for about 3k which will cope with 400lb/ft quite well.Whether it will last with repeated hard launches for drag racing is another thing.

Try doing a search as this has been covered many times before ;-)

N

newbie2

well i dont think i can find £3k anytime soon.
the guy who rebuilt my engine said he is good friends with the owner of quaife and claims the owner admitted himself that his gearbox's didn't last long term in the gtir .

oap-r

I love Rob xxx
newbie2 said:
well i dont think i can find £3k anytime soon.
the guy who rebuilt my engine said he is good friends with the owner of quaife and claims the owner admitted himself that his gearbox's didn't last long term in the gtir .
Like i said earlier,it all depends how you use the car determines how long parts will last.

With drag racing the transmission has to cope with major torque loadings whereas it's not so bad if your on the track or just using it as a road car.

N

newbie2

the box i have now makes a slight whinning noise so its probably on its way out !
but until it does i think i may have one of the most powerfull gtir's with the short ratio box !

N

newbie2

i pick mine back up on monday and will check if its 3rd gear only, but i think its most gears !

gtirx2

Mine was a bit all round whiney but it was worse in third as the gear is differently cut and when i took it apart it was in very good condition!

A

a11ova

Shaun said:
:shock: £150 drink :shock: glad i dont drink with you :lol:
smart ****. If you read into the message it says 'looking' :p £100 is a drink. so thats what i want :p