not all its cracked up to be

G

gotoinstant-redline

Jobi Joba said:
GoToInstant-Redline said:
i'm running 34psi on the front and 31psi on the rear.
:shock: I was driving my R with 2.6 bar on the front and 2.4 bar on the rear!!!And I was pretty happy with the handling...with H&R springs and KYB shocks.It seems your tyres are not enough inflated...
my wheels may well be a diffrent size to yours. i have played with a lot of presures.. and this is what works best for my tyres, suspention and wheels.

L.

Nad

Handling

The stiffer the car in the dry the more force it will exert on the road when cornering but when it looses grip it will be more pronounced rather than a softer car will roll more and take pressure of the inside tyres but looses its grip more progresivly.

One thing u must remember is that u have no more grip than the Vectra. You only have more traction out of a corner and this is what u must use as ur advantage. Power down early out of a corner. At a good guess they knew the limits of their car. If ur car does slide just go with it and keep the power down.

How new are ur tyres, are they properly scrubbed in yet. U may also want to change ur camber an toe settings to get better turn in and conering. Just becasue it has been set up doesnt mean it has been set up the best possible way.

Ta

Nad

GTIR-LOZ

cheers nad, i have the settings to what is sugested in the whiteline guide, that came with my handling kit, i oumped the tyres up today, and it seemed alot better, they were quite low on 28psi :? stuck them up to 36 on the front and 34 on the rear, seems to go alot better now :D hopefully may slow down the premature wear on the inside fronts as well, cos i get sick of changing tyres from front to rear, when only the insides seem to wear :evil:

I've only found the r to be a bit unpredictable with undertseer in the wet so leave cornering at speed well alone, there maybe some who feel that this is the ultimate test of a drivers skills but given that there have been multiple f1 champs who took it easy in these conditions i dont feel too ashamed to admit it.
While the sun shines, as long as you don't go into the corner way too fast to start with, the best way is to keep the power down through the corner so its right on the edge of its grip, if the front starts to go wide catch it by giving it even more rather than hit the brakes, it will scrabble about a bit at this point and i wouldn't advise it on roundabouts with cars either side of you but you'll find that after a bit of wiggling your going in the right direction rally style.
Its not something that first springs to mind when you think your losing it but it will keep you in good stead with the best of them and vectras from your arse all day long, i remember clarkson remarked once that he couldnt get the lotus elise to go round corners at speed without it horrendously understeering, afterwards the lotus test driver took him out at full chat and scared the living **** out of him through the corners on opposite lock!

Nad

Dont foget fastest way round a corner is slow in fast out, u shouldnt be going round at a constant speed therefore driving fast in the wet shouldnt be an issue as u r only accelerating as u r coming out of the corner so u should never run wide.

Nad