oil pump ??

daz

quick question ...... can the oil pump be changed with the engine in place or does it have to come out ??

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
As far as I know Yes it can be done with the engine in, but I've never had to try it yet to find out.

ex-gtir

yes it can be done in situ aint easy the books say you have to take the head off but you dont
pm me if you need advise
mike

daz

when cold the oil pump seems to make a loud whirring noise goes when it gets warm it goes away but the pressure flutuates between 4.5 bar and 3 bar at about 3200 rpm
i dunno just doesnt feel right possibly the release valve playing up ??

J

jiw

I fitted a full new pump a couple of month ago with the engine in the car as mine couldnt build up pressure until i revved the car, i ordered a new pump from mjp for about £340.

upon stripping my old pump i found that the piston on the regulator valve had jammed fully open as a bit of muck got in their, this was stopping the pump from building up initial pressure, i cleaned the pump and re-assembled carrying out the checks advised by nissan and all was well so i sold it, its on the car now and the pump is working fine, jeff :wink:

daz

was thinking pressure release valve myself as the pumps only been on a year but dont think you can get at the valve without taking the pump off or can you ??

J

jiw

yeah i think you can, try tapping the side of the pump with a small hammer, the piston might be jammed, i ordered a new pump from nissan, you know how much they cost!!!! all turned out to be a bit of muck jamming the relief valve piston :cry:

GINGA

daz said:
was thinking pressure release valve myself as the pumps only been on a year but dont think you can get at the valve without taking the pump off or can you ??
Yes you can you need to remove the sump then remove the retaining nut and the valve and spring drops out :wink:

Dooie Pop Pop

GINGA said:
daz said:
Yes you can you need to remove the sump then remove the retaining nut and the valve and spring drops out :wink:
anyone want to ost a piccy of what ginda' s talking about, are there any horror' s attatched to taking the sump off?

seems like a good idea to clean the valve anyway :wink:

cheers, stu

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Ginga, which is the bit when removing the sump you mentioned about not forgetting to do or it turns into an engine out job when you break the forgotton something :?

antgtir

I didnt realise the cost of a new oil pump :shock: rediculous!! :roll:

Thought of doing mine, but after seeing that price i think ill hang on for just a little longer lol, its not gone and gives a good oil pressure still just wanted to get it done but may now be one of those jobs on the back burner lol :lol:

antgtir

Mr GTiR said:
that's the cost of the whole oil pump assembly. just to buy new gears is approx £75 :D
Ah right thats a bit better lol. I take it these are available at your nearest Nissan goodie store :?: :D

GINGA

Fast Guy said:
Ginga, which is the bit when removing the sump you mentioned about not forgetting to do or it turns into an engine out job when you break the forgotton something :?
Its the 2 10mm nuts hidden behind the little plate at the gearbox end of the sump, if you don't know there there and procede to pull the sump off using the draw bolt holes it leaves part of the sump still attached to the engine and also breaks the rear oil seal retainer which is a engine out job to change.
Cleaning all the old sealant of is a right kunt to :evil:

J

jiw

Mr GTiR said:
that's the cost of the whole oil pump assembly. just to buy new gears is approx £75 :D
Thats ok for some, i just ordered the full new pump not knowing, the way i see it is the gears are hardened steel, the housing is aluminium, if the hardened steel gears are worn then the alloy casing has gotta be worn, well thats how i make the dent in my bank balance feel better :lol: , jeff