Reasons and impressions of leaving R ownership...

GTiRlover

Hello guys,

This is really a thread for R owners who have sold up and moved onto other cars. I myself am considering moving on from R ownership for various reasons and am wanting to know why others have also done so. Specifically it would be good to hear peoples reasons for selling up in the first place and then what cars they moved onto and then how the new car compares to the R.

I do feel attached to my car having owned it for nearly 4 years now and spent £££'s getting it to where I am happy with it but feel like I am due a change. I don't want to have to sell my car but the appeal of something new is proving too great! I love the rawness of the R and the fact that it is always the underdog but I am craving something a little more involving which is why I am considering going down the RWD path or possibly something uber light, FWD with moderate power that handles really well. Or maybe another 4WD with a more rear biased torque split...

I really am just weighing up my options at the moment and so it would be nice to hear from people who have been in my position before and decided to take the plunge and sell up. I hear many stories of people selling up for Evo's and Scoobies and then wishing they never had, why? Can anybody explain why if after having sold their R they have bought another car and then regretted it?

It would be interesting to hear any other experiences of moving on from R ownership...

Thanks8)

Last edited:

EVOBAD

iv gone back & for from pulsar to evoes to skylines,i think u will find that you just get bored,i had my first pulsar for 3years spent ££££on it to get 430bhp once i broke the 400bhp mark i got bored then got an evo 3 which i injoyed & is probly the better car,after 6months i got a r32gtr got loads of attention in it but that ended as i got bored again ,so cutting a long story short iv had

5pulsars
6 evo 3
2 fiat coupes
clio 172
r32gtr
r33gtst
i have had all these withing sixyears now iv got evo 6 runing 385bhp & am getting bored of thatgetting bored of that

also had 555ltd impreza sti which was nice to drive but slow

nathan

this is my first pulsar and i have had nothin but trouble so far but im determind to keep it for a while as i tend to get board this is why i have had so many cars list as follows i think in this order

mini clubman estate
205 1.4
205 1.6 gti
micra 1.2
bmw 320 se (e30)
bmw m3 (e36)
clio williams
200sx s13
golf gti (mkII)
evo 1
xr3I cab
mazda 626 coupe
205 1.9 gti
bmw 325 (e36)
pulsar

GTiRlover

Thanks for the replies. EVOBAD- I can appreciate what you say abour getting bored, the thing its not that I'm bored of my R because I still enjoy driving it just that I fancy a change. Can you tell me how your Evo 6 compares to your old 430bhp R, also the Evo 3 and R32 GTR because they are all cars I would consider owning.

nathan- I would persevere with your car because a well setup Pulsar is very formidable and can provide bags of fun! Out of interest how would you compare your R to the M3 and 200SX?

J

Jezcharger

I had a 280bhp pulsar owned it for 14months in 2006 and loved it and had zero trouble with it, and on the eve of taking the plunge and spending a wad of cash on it (forged lump, big brakes etc) i sold it and bought an evo 8, reasoning if I spent the money on the gtir, i'd never afford an evo. I pretty much regretted it right away although the evo was fantastic it didnt put a smile on my face. I part exed the evo in feb this year for a clio 172cup which is a great car, but i recently bought a bone stock 94 gtir and i can safely say it p***es all over the clio even in standard form. So in my opinion stick with the pulsar and dont think that just cos they're newer cars they are automatically better

allsmiles

sounds like you need to get yourself a renault 5 gt turbo, ok lads dont laugh! they are ultra fun and they dont cost a great deal to get hold of one, they are nowhere near as bad as people make them out to be aswell, i should know as ive probly owned my r5 gtt longer than most of u have owned your R's(owned mine 6 years)

pulsars are fast but the r5 is more fun imo, theres people who have had evos and the rest of the jap stuff, and they always have had good things to say about the r5

oh and look in this months evo mag aswell. theres a nice example in there

Mr GTiR

allsmiles said:
i should know as ive probly owned my r5 gtt longer than most of u have owned your R's(owned mine 6 years)
I've owned mine 7 years :p

Anyway, food for thought. I've had my Pulsar for 7 years now and i've done pretty much what I have with it. It's soon to be 450hp with uprated box, forged internals, 3071R and vertually everything uprated (brand new TEIN coilovers, 4 pots, 300mm disk conversion on rear, etc).

For the past few years i've been itching to get an Evo 6RS or Tommie Mak. The main reason's is that they are a newer car, standard boxes can take more power than an R before breaking, more practical if you have a family but more importantly they handle so well!!

My mates keep telling me not to sell my car as for me to get to 450hp with an Evo will be starting over again and a lot of cash will be needed to get it to somewhere near the spec of what I have now.

Also, I was out in a 500hp Tommie Mak recently and tbh I did not think it was that much faster than my car in a staright line but fook me sideways the brakes on this thing was awsome (AP 6 pots) and when the car changed onto slicks, it stuck to the track like shit to a blanket :shock:

I know I keep going on about getting an Evo but everytime I jump in my car and go for a blast I always have the biggest smile on my face as it's so much fun to drive unlike the Evo's which is not as involving or raw as the R.

Just my 2 pence.

Last edited:

paz

I sold up for the pure reason of buying my first house, and ended up knocking around in a 306 td.

Its pretty unbelieveable, but every day it was sunny, I was on an open road, or heard another jap car go past I missed my pulsar SO much it was unbelievable. There's something special about these little shitboxes... friends of mine have owned lines-of-sky, TVR's, evo's etc etc and I've always wanted another pulsar. Now I've finally got another one, I realise what a pain in the **** they are, but I put my foot down on Friday and had the biggest smile on my face.

Love them, not sure why!!

nathan

well at the min my pulsar was better than my 200sx but my m3 was a lot more fun but i do intend to persevere sinse i have wanted one for about 15 years cos my dad had a sunny gti-r

GTiRlover

Jezcharger- so the Evo 8 didn't stack up well to the GTiR. I have been lucky to be a passenger in a number of different Evo's and have been very impressed I must say, with the handling mostly. In a straight line I thought they would be faster but thats nothing a few tweeks wouldn't cure. Can you tell me please what the running costs of the 8 were like in comparison to the R? I have heard stories of Evo's costing £££ just to keep them on the road let alone modify...

allsmiles- I'm not really a fan of the R5 GTT to be honest. Whilst I don't doubt that they can be very good cars they just don't appeal to me. What power is yours?

Mr GTiR- Like I said above, for me the biggest attraction of a car like an Evo or Scooby would be the handling, they seem very balanced and controlled whatever you do. However I ask myself why the R cannot compete on a similar level in terms of grip and poise, maybe not 'handling' as a generic term because the weight distribution lays bare any claims of neutral handling, because Bracpan and Trip along with a few others on here have great success with their cars in Hillclimb events where I am sure the level of competition from other cars (again Evo's, Scoobies, track day specials) is high.

Whilst it is reassuring to know that an Evo 6 Tommi Mak performs very well on track meaning that if I went down the Evo route I wouldn't be disappointed, the cost of getting 500bhp, along with race spec brakes and tyres would probably make me cry. Again the age old 'bang for your buck' argument is appropriate here...

paz- I know what you mean, although my car has its flaws I still love it8) I think this statement by Mr GTiR sums it up for the both of us (or three of us:lol:)

Mr GTiR said:
I know I keep going on about getting an Evo but everytime I jump in my car and go for a blast I always have the biggest smile on my face as it's so much fun to drive unlike the Evo's which is not as involving or raw as the R.
nathan- in what way was your M3 more fun?

The consensus so far seems that although cars like Evo's are technically 'better' that dont scratch the itch left by the R. It seems we love our cars for their flaws rather than inspite of them...

Last edited:

allsmiles

gtirlover- my r5 gt has recorded 181bhp at the fly and 170ftlb torque at 17 psi, car can do 20 psi tho

its no pulsar beater but its a different kind of fun

EVOBAD

GTiRlover said:
Thanks for the replies. EVOBAD- I can appreciate what you say abour getting bored, the thing its not that I'm bored of my R because I still enjoy driving it just that I fancy a change. Can you tell me how your Evo 6 compares to your old 430bhp R, also the Evo 3 and R32 GTR because they are all cars I would consider owning.

nathan- I would persevere with your car because a well setup Pulsar is very formidable and can provide bags of fun! Out of interest how would you compare your R to the M3 and 200SX?
as stated the pulsar has to be driven & is a handfull to drive & is a rapid car but with the evo its so much easier to drive, in a sraight line the pulsar will be quicker but the handling on the evo 6 is the best & the car is a legend & round a track the evo will be alot faster .as for the evo 3 iv only just sold it a month ago its was 300bhp & alot faster than the evo 6 & if you read about the evo 3 it also is a legend & is probly the best evo out there ,strd evo is 267bhp strd pulsar 225bhp tested both evo was quicker but if u tweak pulsar up to same power then gtir is faster,r32gtr as we no top car everybody comes to you for a chat doesnt need much to get to 400bhp just a boost controller runing 1bar ,after that it will cost ££££££ to tune but most will be happy with 400bhp & at that power pretty bulletproff,so if u want a top car other than a pulsar & cheap the evo 3 is the car & is more relible than the evo 6 as these have antiyaw-diff problems & will cost ££££££ to fix but the six is the best looking by a long way,r32 gtr is most peoples dream on this forum all 3 cars are top motors its just up to u what u like

GTiRlover

Odin- I must admit if my car had a 500bhp punch I wouldn't have started this thread! But it must have cost a small fortune to get that much power with reliablity and like you say Pulsars are not known for strong gearboxes... How did your car handle with so much power? Understeer, oversteer- or both:eek: And how much different does your new Scoob feel?

allamiles- Maybe not an R beater but I bet it feels like it is!! Thats a lot of power for such a light car...

pulsarmark- You deserve a ban for posting that link:lol: Although it is tempting to bid, and burn it.

EVOBAD- Thanks for the write-up. I am an Evo fan I must admit and it is interesting to know that you thought the 3 was faster than the 6... How do the Evo's compare with the R32 GTR- straight line speed and in the handling department? One last question I promise- what were the running costs like (servicing, tyres, parts etc) of the Evo 3/ 6 and the R32 GTR when compared to the Pulsar?

Thanks guys

J

Jezcharger

GTiRlover - well m8 when it comes to running an evo, it really depends on how u drive it. oil changes are every 4500miles but i did them more often than that but it costs u very little if u do them your self the ayc if u speak to mechanics in the know, it only needs doin every 10k which is the same as a new audi quattro so in some respects its no worse than a pulsar. As for petrol use i had a 260 mapped to 330 horse which could do 30mpg if u drove it easy but on a trackday i used 96quid of vpower to do 118miles! but they certainly a great tool and are really are a better prospect for tuning than an r but then again most 8's are 10years younger. I've got round this with my new pulsar by keeping it stock and enjoying the thing- I think some owners tend to forget this in my opinion but im sure if i went in a mega power gtir I might change my mind...

EVOBAD

well the evo 3 is the cheapest but the evo 6 & gtr arent to bad,as for power the evo 6 is slighly faster of the mark then when u start getting into the gears gtr is very inpresive,evo is better handling dont no many cars which are better but the gtr isnt far behind both cars stated are in strd form

leemh

have you ever thought a focus rs? forged engine,great handling,ap clutch and got sorted interior. ?????????????????

deank93

leemh said:
have you ever thought a focus rs? forged engine,great handling,ap clutch and got sorted interior. ?????????????????
Do you mean the 2009 model or the "old" 212bhp version?