slow off the mark

pete-r

my car is very slow off the mark.example;sat at the lights with a 3litre bmw diesel! lights go green and the beemer sticks with me until i hit 3rd gear :oops: at which point the turbo seems to eventually want to play(at around 2500revs).1st and 2nd gear seem to be lacking,i cant even hear the turbo in these gears .i have a boost controller fitted but its turned off until i get the spark plugs and fuel pump done.but even running standard boost surely my car should be able to blast off the line quicker than a bmw!? :?
before anyone says it ,no its not my driving :evil: lol

J

jiw

what boost controller do you have?, if it has gear recognition it may be limiting boost in the lower gears i had this problem when i bought my r,all i did was turn the recognition off, maybe you could try turning the controller on and setting the boost to standard, jeff

mattygti-r

pete has the dual blitz on his R,

pete, you need to get them plugs and pump sorted, cos even at 1 bar your car is struggling to get the power.....

its the pump i think is on its last legs, when driven its very hesitant under full accleration :(

pete-r

ok ,i got new iridium fuel plugs and an uprated walbro fuel pump fitted but the car is still too slow .went to santa pod today and lets just say the time was slower than a standard gtir :shock: :oops: :oops: and im running 1 bar.when i turned my boost controller down to 10psi the needle shakes between 9 and 10 ,it doesnt seem to shake at 1 bar.also i didnt feel the car really pull until 3rd gear at 3500rpm.any ideas?some kind of leak somewhere?

mattygti-r

leads?

the fuel pump and controller, i dont doubt steve fitted it properly

did you gap the pulgs correctly?

did you check how you installed your guage?

pete-r

no, steve checked my gauge fitting.said it was good.spark plugs have got the correct gap.i think im gonna change all the turbo hoses then get it rolling roaded.its really pi55in me off :evil: :!:

zia

is this your first r? and how long has it been like this? your clutch ain,t slipping is it? remeber this is turbo car so low rpm power will be poor until turbo starts spoolling up! also does this occur at all intervals?

zia

skiddusmarkus

What rpm do you change gear at?The only time you should see 2500 or even 3500rpm when launching or 1/4 miling is as you rev it up to 5k+ to set off.If you change gear at around 6-6500rpm then it will fall nicely into the powerband of the next gear ie above 4000rpm.
What was your terminal speed?

pete-r

,the car is slower than it should be.matty is witness to this as hes been in it.the clutch is pretty good condition and its not happening in intervals.ive owned the car about 4 months and its been like this since i got the fmic (i think).theres no smoke coming out of it,nothing rattling from the engine.the car idles brilliantly.its just when it comes to driving her hard she lacks power,theres no throwing me back in the seat(maybe a little at 3500rpm in 3rd) :( i havent got a clue :roll:

pete-r

i change gear roughly between 6-7000rpm ,i launch at 4000rpm.reaction time today was average 0.33,but the car just had no power at all.terminal speed was 77mph :oops: :oops: you can see why its pi55in me off :evil: :!:

zia

so basically your feeling the lag!! there is lag with front mounts you,ll find that it doesn,t hit 1bar until 4000rpm and if you had the top mount before. then just give your self some time to adjust to the change.remmber you have to work the car more to give same sense of speed with the front mount!

zia

B

Brett G

Have you done a fault check?
Mine started holding back badly just after I serviced it (slightly overfilled) but that disappeared as quickly as it started :roll:
Soz probably not much help :oops:

Brett

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
pete-r said:
i change gear roughly between 6-7000rpm ,i launch at 4000rpm.reaction time today was average 0.33,but the car just had no power at all.terminal speed was 77mph :oops: :oops: you can see why its pi55in me off :evil: :!:
:shock: :shock:

Launch it with more revs than that :wink: What 60ft times were you getting?

Was it ok before you fitted the front mount? If so, what front mount is it and make sure all the hose clamps (jubilee clips) are on and tight and they quite often come offf and you'll be loosing alot of boost and hence power.

Some (maybe most these days) diesels are damn quick off the line asuming they grip as they have alot of low down torque. I went in my mates mk3 turbo diesel golf as a passenger once and it gave me the same feeling as my R does on a good launch. :shock:

pete-r

just done the check and its came up 34 ,Det sensor cicuit :shock: .anyone know what that means? :?

mattygti-r

petes got a Pace FMIC fitted by Nemisis, and a Blitz DSBC controller , Mines ECU , unkown clutch feels standard thou :(

J

jiw

check for loose wires if they aint loose replace the sensor GINGA has a guide in how to section and its very helpful :D

pete-r

cheers lads looks like ive just got to find a det sensor now.is it still safe to run the car until its sorted out?