Sooo many problems - please please help if you can

G

GTI-R Kid

You'd think that alright wouldn't you? But when I went to Premier in the city (one of the bigger motor factors) your man inside had never heard of a 15W50 fully synthetic oil! Thought it was only available as a mineral based oil.

Must try Ears in Mallow since its closer to home, along with McNamara Motorsport in Buttevant.

Not really gonna do any harm to run the 10W60 for 5k anyway, and since I already have it I may as well use it. Then again, maybe I'll have a look this morning for 15W50 first - can always give the 10W60 to the buddy to use in his Glanza ;-)

MORF114

get 2 catch cans one for head and one from the sump see where its coming from see which ones full? do it cheaply can of stella zipped on (empty of course) and some hose pipe wahey !!!!! i watched blue peter!!

bit of a Hazard though!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

G

GTI-R Kid

Right, the latest.

Did an oil change on Tuesday to 10W60. Tried Ears, McNamaras & Halfords and no luck with the 15W50. Came across 10W50 & 10W60 so stuck with the Castrol Edge I already had in the boot. Noticed slightly higher oil pressure on idle when warmed up - that good or bad? :oops: Will pick up some 15W50 in Xtreme next time I'm going to Wexford. ;-)

Managed to put a hole in the radiator while mucking about with the oil cooler. Had noticed one of the connectors weeping slightly so tightened it up, and while puting the cooler back in place managed to get one of the braided lines caught which pierced the rad. Now temporarily fixed with rad weld, but another good reason (like I needed one) to get a new uprated radiator on there pronto. :thumbsup:

Was all set to do the timing (engine warmed up, TPS disconnected, revved to 3.5k a few times) but when I stuck my head under the bonnet I discovered the timing light I had borrowed didn't work. :doh: So now waiting for one from eBay. :oops:

Did a compression test on the engine and got 110psi across all 4 cylinders. No variation of even a single psi. Is this an ok result? :oops:

campbellju - which pipe should get the restrictor mate?

Fazz

110????

ah.... dude isn't that pretty damn low???

I thought they 160 new, and down to 140 is acceptable...??

Thats pretty low man, would that directly affect the power i wonder??

OH, I managed to confirm my turbo packed in! The excuse i needed for a bigger one! Yipee!!! Keep up!!

G

GTI-R Kid

Dunno what to expect from a car with bigger pistons and thicker head gasket. Fact that they're all the same is some consolation to me though. Maybe its low comp so we can run silly boost with the right turbo? Can't find any idea of what they should be on a search, so if anyone can answer then please do.

Sorry to hear about your turbo - good that its the excuse you need though.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
GTI-R Kid said:
Did a compression test on the engine and got 110psi across all 4 cylinders. No variation of even a single psi. Is this an ok result? :oops:
You did release the pressure from the gauge after doing each cylinder didn't you?

Fazz

how thick is ur head gasket?

afaik, 135psi was the minimum for a decent running engine.

your way down at 110, which would allow for higher boost, but wouldn't it mean u are down on power to start off with and hence could explain your low bhp results as of late...?

You may have to run the higher boost to make up the power lad!! :) ??

Alternatively, could the timing directly affect compression? I'd assume not, but if so then perhaps its just that ur timing is set to far back....??

u run JE 87's I think so wouldn't think they affect it as pretty sure loads of engines have these with teh 140psi compression....?

G

GTI-R Kid

Carl - sure did. Each cylinder had a zero on the gauge before turning over.

Low bhp was recorded at 1bar on standard T28. Dunno how much higher it could run before going pop!

As for timing - to the best of my knowledge timing is just related to spark and should have no effect at all on compression test results.

And yes, running JE pistons with 1.2mm Cometic gasket.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Ignition timing won't affect the compression test.

Cam timing will tho if it's out. So you need to check those timing marks on the timing chain against the marks on the cam sprockets.

G

GTI-R Kid

Thanks for that Carl. Is there any symptoms of cam timing being out? I won't be able to have a look at it till Monday or Tuesday due to work, so just wondering if there are any hints in the running of the car that might point to it?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It just depends how far out it is (assuming it even is) I'm not sure, but I think it could affect it either way, ie lower or higher the compression.

G

GTI-R Kid

Ah, ok. Thanks.

Was just wondering if it would idle wierd (which it doesn't) or make any strange sounds to hint that the cam timing might be out.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Rob, on advice from Coxie and Andy who'd seen similar problems, I put mine at the top of the pipe from the sump, just before it meets the T piece from the rocker cover. They actually advised a drilled out piece of metal but I had some Oil and petrol hose only a 1/4" bore that fitted perfectly so used that. To early to say whether its worked yet. My pipe was about 3" long, I think Coxies restrictor was only about an inch.

Jim

G

GTI-R Kid

Cheers for that Jim. will see what I can knock up for it on Monday.