TR-1`s made car handle BAD!

steve963

just had Toyo TR1`s fitted to the back
got std wheels 195 55 R14 (bridgestone grid II on front, std issue I think)

handling feels weird now back end squirms around:shock: and dosent feel right

also, on power in first gear front wheels seem to jump up:shock:

Do you think its cause my front tyres are part worn therefore of smaller dia. eg the centre diff`s struggling?

R

Russ'R

Do you have the same tyres on the front as the back?

You will need to bed them in for say 50miles..

steve963

campbellju said:
Have you checked your tyre pressures? Tyre fitters often put ghay pressures in
I thought that, you can push the car side to side on the strength of the tire wall...

feels like im driving a jelly:doh:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Check the pressures, give them time to bed in as from new they often have some sort of protective coating on, failing that jack the back end up and check the wheels for play (suspension/bearing problems)

steve963

So R`s dont usually have a problem if you change the rear tyres and not the front? The centre diff wont be working overtime?

Feels really s**t when turning and braking at the same time... feels like i got no anti roll bar anymore!
HELP!!!

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Turning in an braking is going to unload the rear tyres, so depending how hard you're doing it, I'd expect the back end to feel loose.

steve963

Fast Guy said:
Turning in an braking is going to unload the rear tyres, so depending how hard you're doing it, I'd expect the back end to feel loose.
No something definatley wrong, all bolts tight.
Car felt fine on original tyres even felt fine on the space saver:shock:

protective coating should be worn off now:thumbsup: :oops:

I`m sure the front tyres are smaller dia. and this is causing the prob...

steve963

"What size tyres do you have on both ends?"

both the same, but the front are half worn bridgestones and the back brand new toyos... so there must be a diff in dia.

R

R1cky

just a thought mate! try top and tailing them and see if that helps also the t1r is a directional tyre are the treads running the right way. not sure it would make a huge difference but worth a look

Fusion Ed

Its never a great idea to have different diameter tyres, it will definitely load the centre diff more if you do.

steve963

whats top and tailing?

I think its the diameter size, especially the way the front jumps up under hard acceleration, centre diff must lock and cause the front to skip...???...

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I've not heard of top and tailing but I guess Ricky means swap front to back which is wise as you should always put your best tyres on the front. Likewise check the tyres are put on the right way round.

I used to use T1R on an MR2 as the supple sidewalls fitted its character, I never used them on the GtiR though for the oppisite reason. This is subjective opinon, Toyo's T!R are alright and better than the old T1S that were too roly poly IMO.

Do check your pressues Steve as others have said too, they can make a huge difference.

steve963

Yeah after more driving today, I think its the sidewalls, there too soft, got 34psi in them might give em a bit more as it says 44 max on the side

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Bear in mind if you over inflate them, you'll reduce the contact area of the tyre and again make the back end loose and want to come round on you.

dobby

Right then after having a nice sunny dry day i went out to see what these tyres were like. i agree with steve 963, they aint very good. high speed corning is not good. they do seem soft. i wont be buying them again. Avon is my choice at the moment.
the toyos do like to understeer.