plugs have been changed so i know their fine
this problem does seem electrical
what dyas reckon any ideas ???????:der:

G

GazGti-R

sorry ..... was still on phone texting mode lol any ideas lads

youngsyp

Alternator on its way out maybe.

When the alternating packed in on my VW Scirocco, a similar thing happened. But, all the dials went bonkers and then the engine spluttered and died.

neil240z

possibly have something to do with the live from the battery, worth looking around the loom for damage.

antgtir

Try looking on top of the alternator specifically at the thick cable (at the alternator end) with the red coloured cover on, the wires connected to the metal hoop that connects directly to the alternator can break away and cause similar problems to what your describing, may be worth a look.

Ant.

G

GazGti-R

great help guys thanks am gunna have a good look when i finish work

rayman75

i have had this aswell, but only happens when i go above 120mph (on my daddies airfield). i thought it might be down to the delimiting chip or something?? the alternator is a good call will have a look at the weekend.

anyone got any other ideas??

G

GazGti-R

alternator and battery are both fine ....missfire more apparent now though from start up but then goes away when i first turn the ignition on the speedo jumps up to 20mph then back to zero once...?
ive now changed the plugs to the same rating as what was in and ive now replaced the rotor arm ,cap, and ive got some leads coming too...the coil towers are common on these arent they ?
also something else thats a worry is that the M.A.F has been given its own seperate earth direct to the battery?
think im gunna have to get it pluged in to a diagnostic machine and see what comes up
this is im sure an electrical problem

youngsyp

GazGti-R said:
alternator and battery are both fine ....missfire more apparent now though from start up but then goes away when i first turn the ignition on the speedo jumps up to 20mph then back to zero once...?
ive now changed the plugs to the same rating as what was in and ive now replaced the rotor arm ,cap, and ive got some leads coming too...the coil towers are common on these arent they ?
also something else thats a worry is that the M.A.F has been given its own seperate earth direct to the battery?
think im gunna have to get it pluged in to a diagnostic machine and see what comes up
this is im sure an electrical problem
To start with, my speedo jumps to 20mph or so, when I turn the ignition to 'on' sometimes. I'm not worried about it and put it down to a dodgy earth, or the de-limiting dongle that's been used on my car.

The separate earth for the MAF is also nothing to worry about and, is a good thing. Someone has obviously measured the resistance of the earth on the MAF and decided the reading was too high and made a new earth. This is a very common mod on the GTiR.

So, basically you have a missfire. :doh:

Do a search on missfires and I'm sure the answer will turn up.

G

GazGti-R

no mate not yet ....am trying to find someone round where i work with the diagnostic machaine that can do it

G

GazGti-R

rite av changed the following plugs cap rotor arm and leads
problem is now ...
when needing full power it starts spooling up and then as soon as the power starts to come in it hesitates or cuts out like somethings retarding it ..(hold foot to the floor and theres nothing but as soon as you lift off or apply light throittle it picks up again
its starting to boil me p### now like so any more ideas would be grately recieved
speedo still going nutts and problem getting much worse
cheers guys

G

GazGti-R

just ordered one there tho lol will try that this after noon

G

GazGti-R

f##### bas######d things had my life all for a fuel filter
thanks for sugestions guys