when do ARP rod bolts break

sypher

As above really, has anyone broke a rod bolt or have they ever come loose. has anyone ever seen or heard of a stock rod bending/fracuring/snapping etc if so at what RPM / intake pressure

would like to know as i have only got stock rods with ARP bolts on HKS 87mm pistons going onto lightened and ballance crank and from what i've read all the "rich" people are are getting strokers or set of crower rods

(p.s. don't ask how much i paid for my pistons !!)

Stu.

sypher

lets just say i was reading the post that was saying about UK tuners/suppliers and thought holy poop the shop must have big windows, i will not name!!!!

C

carpy100

cant talk from experience but... i know motors have been built to 550ish bhp. like i said its revs that break rods not bhp.
think about it, the bolts are the weakest point only at the return of the up-stroke not under compression.

Keira

sypher said:
As above really, has anyone broke a rod bolt or have they ever come loose. has anyone ever seen or heard of a stock rod bending/fracuring/snapping etc if so at what RPM / intake pressure
yep, i have a very amusing picture of a block from an engine we took out of a car early this year, theres a fooking great hole in the front and back of it where mister rod decided he'd had enough of playing with his 3 friends and decided to leave the party :shock: jaigtir did a good job of getting one of his to fail some time ago aswell.

At a guess i'd say you should know it was on its way as it would start knocking before deciding to make its entrance onto the world :shock: , unless your really unlucky i'd imagine most complete rod failures are due to people ignoring nasty knocking noises, i'd be suprised if anyone has ever managed to break one without knowing something was up. The other way would be if it was badly put back together and not torqued correctly :(

To run the sort of power it would take to break a standard rod and bolt you'd have to be a complete c.u.n.t to put standard rod bolts back in just to save yourself £50 or whatever the arps are, not that i'm suggesting thats what your implying at :wink:

sypher

no no they are already on the rods, was wanting to get a "yes mine broke at" or "never and i'm running xxx bhp/rpm for xxx months". just seeing what every big build is doing if just bolts aren't good enough anymore or is it that these guys are trying to push warp factor 100

C

carpy100

didnt mention knocking noises as i thought it obvious!
ARP's are probably the best mod you can do to our motors when pileing on the boost.

Keira

my rod bolts are rated higher than ARP's 8)

which is nice :wink: :lol:

I cant think of anyone thats broke a rod after a rebuild :? , the gtir ones are pretty strong 8) ,

unless you're going 450-500+ i doubt theres alot to worry about if your on standard rods, certainly wouldn't worry about the arp bolts

O

Odin

I put a rod through the block on my old pulsar :shock: :oops: , Was raceing a bike at 127mph, thats as fast as my old one would go with it's close ratio box :cry: :cry: .

Got to a straight bit of road and pulled over to let the bike go lifted off the gas and bang :shock: :? there was no knocking just bang and then flames :shock: .

Car was a wright off because of the fire :cry:

rob

sypher

Rob. what rpm where you sitting at and how long where you there for ? did that one have ARP rod bolts fitted?

Stu.

deank93

I've been advised that standard rods with ARP rod bolts will do the job on my re-spec'd engine, i should be pushing around 470-490 bhp at about 1.8 bar, although i am toying with the idea of uprated rods in order to future proof the engine.

O

Odin

sypher said:
Rob. what rpm where you sitting at and how long where you there for ? did that one have ARP rod bolts fitted?

Stu.

I was sitting at 7600rpm for a couple on min's,But it didn't blow till I lifted off :? . And no it was just standard rod bolts :wink: .

I'v been to 8000rpm on the car I have now :shock: , Brave on standard rod bolts i'm sure you would agree lol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

rob

ashills

450 on the standard rods with arp's is fine held the limiter in 5th no probs and still going strong for the guy who bought the engine off me

tee

vpulsar said:
I put a rod through the block on my old pulsar :shock: :oops: , Was raceing a bike at 127mph, thats as fast as my old one would go with it's close ratio box :cry: :cry: .

Got to a straight bit of road and pulled over to let the bike go lifted off the gas and bang :shock: :? there was no knocking just bang and then flames :shock: .

rob
i no its not a R but i blew a rod on my SR20DET, after racing a bike.

more or less the same thing cept i was probably sat near the limit in 5th for about 10 mins close to 160 :shock:

then this is what greated me the next morning.

one rod that decided he had enough

deank93

Right, thats it, i'm ordering some uprated rods!

All these horror storys and now photographic evidence have scared me into doing it.