Needing a swirl pot......Or??? Help.

grim_d

It's a good system but it is massively expensive and hard to get.

I'm suffering from surge because the sock on the end of my 044 is not low enough I assume, its not a standard style sock.

I am considering getting a barbed end for the pump and a length of hose and putting a standard pickup on the end of it to get it a low in the tank as possible, my only concern is that the sock will be "loose" inside the tank.

grim_d

It reads like you just have a sock feeding a sock, loose inside the tank?

Not much different to what I am considering except only using one sock, or have I misunderstood?

I do have a couple of OEM filter socks I could use.

Last edited:

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Exactly that!

The teabag filter on the pump is so I can insert a pipe and the teabag filter on the end of the pipe is what I use as a pick up/filter.

There also it the secondary filter in the engine bay I case any very small partials pass though the fuel system.

At some point before the 25th Anni event I'll have that system out and I'll take pics of it!

grim_d

What pump are you using? Why not just attach the pickup/sock to the pump via an extended hose instead of through the pickup/sock? just curious as it clearly works for you!

Looks like I'll go ahead with my idea then, fed up of it coughing and carrying on when under 1/2 a tank.

Dangerous Dave

What are you going for a 1.5 swirl pot? And what lines are you going to use? Braided or nylon braided ptfe lines?? Am just about to buy the lines for mine and I'm going to run them in the cabin I just don't want to be gassed out by the smell of fuel?

grim_d

If I end up having to go swirl pot I would get an attain and stick it under the bonnet with a walbro in it. No need for lines in the cabin then

RO_SUNNY

Had mine fabbed up........100 % custom setup.

It has a baffle in the way of the suction line.
The tank is not finished but....I will post some pics when it's done!

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
What pump are you using? Why not just attach the pickup/sock to the pump via an extended hose instead of through the pickup/sock? just curious as it clearly works for you!
Its just a Walbro. I didn't want the pump rolling round the bottom of the tank, so I left it in its in-tank cage and added the filters a pipe so it reached into the bottom of the tank.

I did that as It was just cost and time thing. I though afterwards I'd change it but it worked so well, I left it.

MrMischief

I did a similar mod to Andy's on the Walbro pump in my first R as I had surge on the handling circuit at Crail. Seemed to fix the problem. Don't know if my current car has this issue as it ate the gearbox but should find out soon now I've got another box :) Swirl pots are nice but I'd be looking for space under the bonnet rather than in the boot...never liked them in the cabin.

Dangerous Dave

I did a similar mod to Andy's on the Walbro pump in my first R as I had surge on the handling circuit at Crail. Seemed to fix the problem. Don't know if my current car has this issue as it ate the gearbox but should find out soon now I've got another box :) Swirl pots are nice but I'd be looking for space under the bonnet rather than in the boot...never liked them in the cabin.

See that's where I disagree, I wouldn't like an extra liter or so of fuel under the bonnet you have a good smash and Boom your cars in flames. I'm not saying the same thing wouldn't happen if it was in the cabin just less chance as there isn't a red hot tubby or exhaust to think about.

MrMischief

I'd prefer a factory bulkhead between me a the fuel system & you can install an underbonnet extinguisher system to take care of that...whereas you have a heavy rear end impact which is generally the area that isn't particularly well protected by the roll cage & it's all too easy for a fuel line under pressure to rupture in the cabin area, albeit with a firewall hopefully in place, it just takes the fumes & a spark & it's all up. Think I know which I'd prefer. Horses for courses really...I still don't understand how tracks get away allowing the public on without nomex suits/underwear. You take your chances, eh

grim_d

Its just a Walbro. I didn't want the pump rolling round the bottom of the tank, so I left it in its in-tank cage and added the filters a pipe so it reached into the bottom of the tank.

I did that as It was just cost and time thing. I though afterwards I'd change it but it worked so well, I left it.
Ah,that makes sense then, not much to put a pipe on to on the walbro. I can get a nice barbed inlet for my 044.

MrMischief

Sorry for the thread hijack, I know what you're saying Andy, speaking from years of competing in MSA sanctioned events it's very short sighted to assume there's no risk with the public being let loose on track in road cars with little to no safety equipment. At Crail, nobody wore helmets...then a guy rolled (without his seatbelt on admittedly) & went through his sunroof & sustained fatal injuries. Now helmets are required for drivers exceeding a certain speed on the 1/4. IMHO circuits should provide race suits for any novices going on track. How many seriously nodded cars don't even have a hand held extinguisher? Anyway, rant over.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I suppose the idea of a trackday was that it's essentially your road car that you're driving; it should therefore be safe to drive it on the road and by extension a track since there are no cars coming the other way or pulling out of side-roads. - If you're doing something more serious it should be a test day?

The reality is quite different; there are some heavily modified, barely road legal, cars at track days which fall into the gap between being a track/race car and a road car. - So they don't comply with any of the regs like the requirement to have a cage or a correctly mounted harness. The drivers don't wear any more safety gear than they have to.

It's got me thinking anyway; how much would it cost me to put a handheld extinguisher in the car? Practically nothing.
How much to buy some nomex clothing? A little more, but probably not that much if it's not got an MSA tick.

whytie

Fit a very large fuel filter in the tank, it holds enough fuel for hard cornering and costs peanuts, ideal for road car setups