Raising the compression?

O

Odin

Well Bernie said that the machining of the Par gear sets was appalling and needed a lot of extra machining to get them to fit and work properly, Simon (skiddusmarkus) has had nothing but problems with his, It wouldn't go into reverse or was trying to select two gears at once I'm not a 100% sure, It's been a while.

His is not the only horror story I've heard over the years.

But my Par rods where perfect so Agra told me, Some of the best rods they've ever seen, But I know a couple of people who have had some nasty experience with Par rods, So maybe it all depends if it's Monday or Friday that they get made lol lol lol.

Rob

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
MINESGTIR said:
Now then ladies,gentleman (and ODIN) can you please "give input"

I want to know of EXPERIENCES of anyone dealing with PAR and why they make SHIT/AMAZING gearsets.

ive heard people slate them but never explain why, and be honest cos i dont know everything.

So please explain if you have bought one and it went pop or why to steer clear.. i know a few came over here a while back and were not exactly brilliant. all the reviews of PAR outside of uk with 400 - 600 bhp on various cars ive read seem really really good.

consistent hard launches and fast gear changes with no mishaps?

if they were shite then it looks like they have certainly cleaned up and do actually make a bloody good box for £2500 (to my door assembled from OZ)

Many Thanks ... :thumbsup:

What you need to do here is find someone on the forum with a PAR box that actually works!!

stumo

Radiobar, i wouldn't get the kit until a better headgasket becomes available. Cosworth is supposed to be working on one but don't know when it will be available.

MINESGTIR

The GTIR 1/2 dog gearset is made from EN36A case hardening alloy steel which is hardened and tempered through a special heat treatment process after the manufacturing stage and is a huge step up for the performance freaks who have screwed a lot more power out of their GTi-R engine. This gearset is suited for drag racing, circuit racing, rallying and hi performance use. If you like 'launching' your car off the line then this gearset will take all the punishment. The benefit of this 1/2 dog gearset is that the gears are wider than standard (to increase strength) with a larger tooth profile meaning that there is a lower number of teeth and each tooth is a lot thicker (to increase strength even more). Lightning fast gearchanges can be made without losing valuable time with this 1/2 dog gearset. This equates to the most power capable racing gearset available. The dog gears will be rated at around 650hp.
A 1/2 dog gearset is suited for people who want to launch off the line in anger while making lightning quick gearchanges from 1st to 2nd, just like a proper race car. A audible metallic 'clunk' might be heard when changing fast, but the engine will be a lot louder. With a little practice a GTi-R fitted with a 1/2 dog gearset will be no extra hassle being used as a regular street driven car. If you are serious about the horsepower output of your GTi-R, then this is the gearset to get. The dogs on this gearset were designed for maximum strength and durability, the end result is the biggest dogs that could possibly be made.

that is there blur on the GTIR set....

think ill keep reseaching ... unfortunatly Great GTR par experiences cant really be compared to the GTIR dogset

00sid

I havent had any EXPERIENCES with par gearsets but i have had alot of experience with building uprated gtir gearbox,s. after reading the info you posted up about said gearset it doesnt say it is straight cut and its only 1/2 dog set 1st and 2nd maybe 3rd not sure, the main problem here is if it isnt full straight cut gearset including final drive then if your running loads of power and hard launching then its still going to load up the case and crack it.

JU5TY

I’ve got a fully syncro PAR gearset, gearboxman (Bernie) wasn’t impressed with the overall fit, but with regards running them I’ve heard mixed reviews.
I think Jobi in France is running a PAR box without any problems and like you say they don’t seem to have any problems in Oz.

The hole in the PAR input shaft isn’t big enough to accommodate the 4/5th oil feed, whilst my engine was out again I got Bexhill Gearbox’s to check over the box, second opinion, they said it all seemed fine other than the oil feed. My machiner tailored the 4/5th oil feed so it now fits.
Following is an article written by the boss of PAR, he mentions that some PAR gearsets don’t have hollow input shafts to accommodate the oil feeds, so it’s important to have sufficient end float. But seeing that my shaft was hollow I thought I’d play it safe and fit the oil feed, just strange the hole was slightly too small to fit the oil feed without modification!
http://www.xcceleration.com/transmission_FAQ.htm

I’ve only driven my car round the block, it’s pretty stiff into gears at times, but I hope that’s just because the box is brand new! The car’s being mapped a week Saturday, so we’ll see, will let you know...

00sid

hmm, interesting. ive just read the info on there site and i would image its meant to be general info, because 3/4and 5 gear in our gearbox on the input shalf are oil feed from the the centre hole in the shaft. and end float just will not help oil feed to these gears in any way . the gtir gearbox is designed to catch oil in a tray which sits on the top on the box above the gearset and lets it flow down and inside the shafts to the gears . Par gears do have there own bearings between the gears and shaft but if this is a 1/2 gearset you will still be running some standard gears which will need oil. Increasing the end float is just bad engineering as this will cause alot more problems further in its life.

after reading some of there comments on there i would stay well clear .

MINESGTIR

hmmm thanks all !
i can get a full 1,2,3,4,5 ALL straight cut and STRAIGHT CUT final drive for circa £3000 to my door ....

that im told will be the best solution....???!???

MINESGTIR

Suppliers to the top 10 worlds fastest wrx's
Supplies to the fastest GTIR, S15, SSS in the country
Suppliers to the worlds fastest All motor Honda
Suppliers to the Fastest Fords in the country
Suppliers to the worlds Fastest Mitsubishi Eclipse
Suppliers to the Fastest Turbo Honda in the country
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]

if they build it for me.. how can it be done wrong?
surely the above should be noted??
they cant be shite...

ashills

par hahahhaaha should be poor bernies comments to me were they machine with farming tools they were so badly made

Keira

MINESGTIR said:
hmmm thanks all !
i can get a full 1,2,3,4,5 ALL straight cut and STRAIGHT CUT final drive for circa £3000 to my door ....
i think you'll find you cant ;)

that offer in the traders section is just for the gears at that price, might have the forks aswell, but i'd double check if i was you.

It wont have the f/d. PPG do not stock the f/d for the gtir on the shelf so have to be made to order (£1000each), no supplier in the world would be stupid enough to get a few made and have them sat on the shelf gathering dust until some idiot decides they want one, or maybe two ;) :lol:

I know this as me and si are currently in the process of waiting for ours, must be about 8 weeks passed now.

As for par, i've seen them first hand, (not just for our cars) before they've been fitted and the machining was pretty p1ss poor tbh. .The really, really, really quick hondas all seem to use liberty gears gearsets. I wouldn't go to much on the 'countries quickest gtir' bit as its half a second slower than our 2 quickest cars, one on a quiafe and one on a standard gearset so who cares about that :lol:

at the end of the day, for 2.5k if its all good its a result, if its not, its 2.5k wasted, I'd also make sure thats with all your vat and duty added on, if it isn't you'll be well over 3k anyway and might aswell have got a ppg from a uk supplier (£2800ish 1-4 from most, or 3k for that bargain from apex) and then asked si nicely to build it ;)

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
I believe PAR fix them for free if they break.. I'm sure it was Riffa (not 100% if it was him) who had 2.. One in the car and the other back at PAR being rebuilt until the one in the car broke.. :lol:

Then just send it off and have the other one sent back..

Cost a lot in Labour and Postage so PPG was going in..

M

mark gtir

thanks tis a bit of a hike across the water though will see what my mechanic can do first and will keep ya posted. Actually have a reground crank and berings got think he's startin strippin everything next week to make 1 good engine just such a waste of money!!! anyhow the joys of r ownership!!!!!:oops:

antgtir

mark gtir said:
thanks tis a bit of a hike across the water though will see what my mechanic can do first and will keep ya posted. Actually have a reground crank and berings got think he's startin strippin everything next week to make 1 good engine just such a waste of money!!! anyhow the joys of r ownership!!!!!:oops:

Good luck. ;-)

Ant.

B13GTiR

Mechanical to Elec Speedo??

Greetings, I live in the states an I drive a 1992 Sentra. Does anyone here know how to wire up an electric speedo sensor to a GTiR cluster manually?

Heres the problem: I have a 92 Sentra, originally equiped with a mechanical (cable drivin) speedometer. I have installed a B15 tranny which has an elec speedo sensor. I am also installing a GTiR instrument cluster which is also elec.

Heres what I have/know: I have the wiring diagrams for both my original cluster and the GTiR cluster. With these I'll be able to wire them up, no problem. The wiring diagrams for both clusters show a total of four (4) wires dedicated to the elec speedo sensor. The sensor in the tranny only has two (2).

Heres the question: How do you connect the two (2) wire speedo sensor the the GTiR gauge cluster that has connections for four (4) wires? What are the other two wires for? Do they need to be connected to something? If so, what?

Any help you guys can give me on this will be appreciated!

88 300ZX Turbo (The Drift Project) (SOLD, so sad.)

"Life's Hard, It's Harder If Your Stupid."

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
On the instrument cluster, I think one will be earth and one power. The manual only shows 2 wires from the sensor itself, from memory they are red and green.

Pin 19 is red
Pin 20 is green
Pin 21 to ecu pin 32 (yellow/green)
Pin 23 comes from 10A fuse (number12)
Pin15 earth

gtirx2

Gear ratios

I have just pulled one of my old spare gearbox's apart and found that 5th gear is different from a normal box.
The standard 5th gear has a 50 tooth gear on the input shaft and a 37 tooth gear on the main shaft where as this 5th has 48 input/39main i think, i will have to double check:oops: But i am sure they are different:lol:
Does anyone know if that makes it a higher ratio 5th or a lower ratio?I think lower,and at a guess should top out at around 150ish at 7500rpm instead of the 160ish standard?
Anyhow i have heard rumours that you can use the gears out of a sunny gti box, so i am just guessing that this is where this has come from?
It is just the same quality as are normal gears so i think it will work fine,but it gets me thinking that if it did come from a sunny box and it does work ok then so should the other gears like 3rd and 4th?So does anyone know what the sunny GTI's gear ratios are compaired to the gtir's?
Also what about the almera and primera sr20 powered cars do they share the same gearboxs as the sunny gti?
I just fancy knocking up a frankenstein box with maybe a rb 1st which i think is slightly higher than a normal gearbox,a normal 2nd and maybe sunny gti 3rd, 4th and 5th if they are slightly closer:lol:

Last edited: