Raising the compression?

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
radiobar said:
so the most important question is:
is a 2.2 engine worth the money ?
Maybe but is it worth the hassle? After chatting with Stu, it sounds like more of a development project than an upgrade.

Jonesy

Have you tired any wd40 down the bores, not sure that it will help sounds well stuck, worth a try though

radiobar

hi !

ok yes.
but can i expect any feelable power gain from a 2.2 engine ?
i think that it will cost around 500GBP more than
just a 87mm rebuild.

thanks

mattytappy

just say your running a 3071rtubby like alot of you guys on here do and all the usual stuff to get nearer to the 400 bhp ish mark...what extra gains would be had bhp,tqe,and response to this mod....would you gain any extra reliability at say 450 bhp on a 87mm bore or could you really push it up alot more with this conversion wnd still keep it all together...apart from the gearbox off coarse.....jsut thinking of my christmas present:lol:

P

pulsarboby

i done a spot of homework on these before my rebuild, as i was gonna get this kit myself!
in a nutshell, dont waste your money;-) they are notorious for blowing heads and gaskets!
the sr20det head and block just arent man enough to cope with that size piston, people have had a lot of probs with this kit.....reliability is 0 and your just gonna have one prob after another so it seems!

mattytappy

ah at last a straight answer....for once...cheers bob....onthat advice i will ask for another pressy.....maybe some dildos and then i can send them to some of the people on this site so the can go f **k themselfs....:thumbsup: .....i love you bob:love: marryme...then i can divorce you and have half your spares;-)

P

pulsarboby

sorry matty youll have clare to get past first lol and shes gonna fight tooth and nail for her share in my little pulsar empire:lol: :lol:

mattytappy

:lol: :lol: :lol: shes probably better at beating people up than me as well..:lol: ;-) ....just tell her she has got some hot compatition....and ive got man boobs:banplease:

M

mark gtir

well seemed a ok fella at the time kinda rough but seamed honest . Cant get onto him now. anwway will try thoes ideas or a combination of them see what happens any other ideas appreciated. Dont worry feel like a mug over it:doh:

P

pulsarboby

if its jammed that bad then im afraid its fcuked! will have spun shell.
where are you based marky?
im on holiday soon but if you bring all your engine parts to me, then i will build you a good engine out of all your bits you have, wont cost you a lot of money that way;-)
all you may need is a set of shells and a head gasket.

antgtir

pulsarboby said:
if its jammed that bad then im afraid its fcuked! will have spun shell.
where are you based marky?
im on holiday soon but if you bring all your engine parts to me, then i will build you a good engine out of all your bits you have, wont cost you a lot of money that way;-)
all you may need is a set of shells and a head gasket.
Bargain :lol:

Ant.

MarkTurbo

mattytappy said:
im not expecting anything to last long at 1.2bar:lol: :lol:
Why not? Your not one of these mongs that believe the bulls**t spouted by people (usually tuners :lol: ) that anything over 1 bar will blow the engine to pieces are you :doh: :lol:

mattytappy

:lol: :lol: no...but i will keep hicking up the boost until she blows:lol: :lol: cant wait to strip the lump back and get my hands dirty;-)

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
mattytappy said:
:lol: :lol: no...but i will keep hicking up the boost until she blows:lol: :lol: cant wait to strip the lump back and get my hands dirty;-)

I ran 1.5 - 1.6bar on the standard engine and turbo for 2 years and it was fine..

Rob ran about 1.4 bar on the GT3076 JGY Turbo for long enough all on the standard engine...

1.2bar is nothing to worry about!

MINESGTIR

Par Gti-r Straight Cut Gearbox

Now then ladies,gentleman (and ODIN) can you please "give input"

I want to know of EXPERIENCES of anyone dealing with PAR and why they make SHIT/AMAZING gearsets.

ive heard people slate them but never explain why, and be honest cos i dont know everything.

So please explain if you have bought one and it went pop or why to steer clear.. i know a few came over here a while back and were not exactly brilliant. all the reviews of PAR outside of uk with 400 - 600 bhp on various cars ive read seem really really good.

consistent hard launches and fast gear changes with no mishaps?

if they were shite then it looks like they have certainly cleaned up and do actually make a bloody good box for £2500 (to my door assembled from OZ)

Many Thanks ... :thumbsup:

gtirx2

Not that i have any experiance with any of these uprated boxes, but does the par gearset come with a straight cut final drive and straight cut main shaft?As these are the things that people think are to blame for the blowen casings,even when you are running straight cut gears.
So atm no uprated gearsets[on a big power gtir] are really upto consistent hard launches ,unless the straight cut final drive is the answer?