Raising the compression?

samgtir

How hard are the seals to change? I know the slave cylinder comes off with the two bolts on the front of block, anyone know the price or have a whole new slave cylinder for sale?

MORF114

Its a company in nz, quite annoyed at myself as the tuner asked who built it and my famous last words to him after i told him what power i want him to tune it at " I dont think it will last very long" why did i jinx myself! it didnt even last 1 gear change!! with no boost its not even mapped above 4000rpm!

Im getting my car back tomorrow from the tuner, taking the car to the gearbox builder so he can hear the noise and then the strip down begins again, dont really want these guys working on my car so im gonna do it again to save myself heart ache if something else goes wrong, everytime i let someone else work on it something bad happens.

How hard is it to take box off car with leaving engine in place? or is it easier,quicker and less frustrating to take whole lot out?

Trondelond

MORF114 said:
Question is , can you put a syncro in backwards and would it cause it to constantly grind in that gear but be sweet as in all other gears?
Did this on a Y21 Honda gearbox on my civic, and the result was that you couldn't assemble the box at all, since the gears "stuck out" a couple of millimetres too far. That's a really bad explanation, but I'm just saying that in that particular case, if you put a syncro in backwards, it wouldn't assemble at all.

Mr GTiR

I've read the thread (properly this time) and now think it's the master cylinder. Have you found any fulid or a wet patch under your clutch pedel?

If the seals in theslave cylinder have done then it would be difficult to get gears.

GTi-R23

Wet carpets isn't always a symptom of master cylinder seal failure by the way, but I agree, it'll almost certainly be master cylinder failure.

Mr GTiR

On mine the seals we're fooked and the b4st4rd leaked like a dam hose pipe! Replacing it with the engine in situ, took me and stumo about 2 hrs! It can be done but only if you don't have the "Y" bracket on the back of the engine.

GTi-R23

I changed mine with engine it situ and 'y' bracket still there :wink:

Managed to take the plenum cover off and it was easy from there on.

Mine didn't leak a drop and the seals were mush.

Check your fluid to make sure, it usually turns black if seals have failed.

MINESGTIR

i had a similar problem, my pedal dropped to the floor... however i lost all fluid... changed master and slave for £90 for blueprint parts and jobs a goodun now

youngsyp

GTi-R23 said:
Managed to take the plenum cover off and it was easy from there on.
Slightly off topic but, how did you do this mate ?

I've been wanting to do this for a while but, every time I look at it, there doesn't seem to be much room to get an allen key or similar to a few of the fixings ?!

Paul

samgtir

Thanks for the advice everyone, Ive been having a look tonight, please excuse the fact I dont really know what I'm talking about but here we go, the slave cylinder is working fine Ive pumped the clutch pedal and its pushing out fine, its the black thingie that that the slave cylinder pushes onto that is loose, it's loose at the gearbox its like a square at the gearbox end then a right angle that goes to the slave cylinder, I'm pretty sure that its gearbox out time (again!!!!) does anyone have any idea what could have gone??? thanks again.

Mr GTiR

samgtir said:
its the black thingie that that the slave cylinder pushes onto that is loose, it's loose at the gearbox its like a square at the gearbox end then a right angle that goes to the slave cylinder, I'm pretty sure that its gearbox out time (again!!!!) does anyone have any idea what could have gone??? thanks again.
It sounds like your describing the clutch fork.

samgtir

Oh poo! does that keep the black linkage tight to the gearbox? Looks like my r is staying on my dads drive in preston for a while lol