Raising the compression?

leemh

garages to take my R to

Right i found today that i need a new driveshaft and gear box seals round the casing:sad: any body know of any GOOD garages to take my R in the cambs/beds/norfolk area to take my beloved R to??

name and numbers please:-D

O

Odin

leemh said:
Right i found today that i need a new driveshaft and gear box seals round the casing:sad: any body know of any GOOD garages to take my R in the cambs/beds/norfolk area to take my beloved R to??

name and numbers please:-D

Do it yourself its an easy job matey, Pull the hub off the drive shaft drain the gearbox /transfer box oil then pull the drive shaft out and change the seal, It's only a push on jobbie ;-) , I could do the whole job in an hour to and hour and a half ;-) .

Rob

leemh

its the seal round the middle of the gear box mate.dont like doing stuff like that.dont mind electrics and bits and bobs but not the gear box

O

Odin

leemh said:
its the seal round the middle of the gear box mate.dont like doing stuff like that.dont mind electrics and bits and bobs but not the gear box

You mean the casing joint ?, Well thats an engine out job then.

Will need to take the box off and split the casing apart, The seal is a liquid sealant and not a rubber seal.

Rob

Clutch change

Just wanted to share that today i have managed to remove my gearbox and clutch on my drive with the engine still in place :thumbsup:

steven_c

i would'nt recommend, you might take the prop off but the car will still think its there, the prop to the back is to take most of the power, and then little to the front, take it off and you just would be slowing the car down alot.... and risk of damage..

Braveheart

Here is one with RWD.

http://www.gtir.com.au/RWD_R.htm

I emailed the guy about how it was done and how it performed and got the following reply:

"
with the rwd set up its a big job a spare gearbox and transfer case is needed to be modified however i do not recommend that you do this if you want a track car, its very wild and extremely hard to control, stick with the 4wd set up and a must have is a 1 way or 1.5 way front lsd, this will make all the difference with a gtir. "

Last edited:

marcymarc

Just take it to a respected garage in your area :roll: those are basic mechanic jobs, its a nissan sunny not a space ship :roll:

markweatherill

Hi Steven_c, my understanding is that as long as the rear wheels are turning the prop at the same speed as the transfer gear, no significant torque is sent rearwards. (Please correct me if that's wrong! I realise Nissan may have designed-in some unequal gearing to ensure a little slippage) So, losing the propshaft, yes the car would 'think' that the prop was still there but both ends of the VC are still turning at the same speed...
RWD is the other extreme! My ghetto way would be remove the front driveshafts and use a solid VC eliminator. Surely not that easy!

soin

quaiffe boxes

anyway of verifying a quaiffe box without removing all and inspecting ... i.e does the casing get a stamp (i doubt it but am unsure)...

if there is no way of telling from visual inspection , are there any other signs .

i.e gearbox sound
gearbox feel

does a quaiffe whine like some uprated boxes ... or is it just as a standard box but stronger with slightly shorter ratios to 4th ..
cheers

P

pulsarboby

ive driven a few cars with quaifes fitted and i cant tell the difference tbh.
theres no markings on casing either as its only the gearset thats changed!
you really need to see the reciept for quaife internals and even then its a game of trust unless you know the person thats flogging the car, and lets face it, whos gonna rip a box off a perfectly good car they have just bought to find out!!!

people can tell you what they like, but its different if your just buying a box on its own as you can split it and check to make sure it is infact a quaife you are buying.

O

Odin

My quaife whines and as you say 1st to 4th are a little bit closer together.

Rob